Help with pond ideas.

MrC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently redoing the garden and next to the decking I'd like to have a wild life pond. This was planned before the decking was put in. Unfortunately this is really the only place I can have one. It will be 8ft x 3ft ish (it was originally supposed to be a koi pond but my son is obsessed with critters and animals).

The depth will be 2ft at the deepest with shallow areas and ways for the animals to get in and out. It's technically a raised sleeper pond due to the decking being slightly raised although its now not as high, wide or deep.

There will be a planter down one side of the pond and a planter across both ends of which I will grade/step to allow another access and a small pergola for climbing plants.

So my questions are,

Is this possible to make look as natural as possible due to being made out of sleepers with a pergola?

Am I missing a trick where I could create a raised pond without the use of sleepers?

Its still in the design stage so I'm open to ideas and apologies if these noddy questions have been asked. I didn't really search the forum and was quickly typing this up in-between sorting the kids for school run.

Ta Mr C.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

The pond would be a bit small for koi, goldfish and wildlife will love it. See if you can add to your design a bog filter for the pond, which would be a planter that filters your pond.

Post some pictures so we can see what you are talking about.

MrC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our forum!

The pond would be a bit small for koi, goldfish and wildlife will love it. See if you can add to your design a bog filter for the pond, which would be a planter that filters your pond.

Post some pictures so we can see what you are talking about.

I changed the dimensions to make it smaller as I decided against a koi pond. As enjoyable as they'll be the children will be much more interested with more wildlife.

I think I have some screenshots of bog filters to do some research on so I will definitely check those out.

Nothing is built yet, did you want a picture of the area?

Gold fish are a no go for us.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know the idea of critters going in and out is fun as is watching them. Know that raccoons can do damage to your house. My BIL has had raccoons climb up into the soffit and having babies there. Most of the critters you are thinking of are nocturnal so you may not see them much. Also, if you plan on goldfish, raccoons will eat them. So will some turtles. That’s why many builder recommend a drop off between the edge of the pond and the water. It is lots of fun to have frogs and toads breed in the pond. They sing, rather loudly during mating season. I like it but some may not. It is loud And they can sing all night for several weeks. If you have feral cats in the area they will love having fresh water available.

Im not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know know what you might run into. A quick YouTube search has videos of building raised ponds shows ways of building them. You could grade the sides to the raised height and use rock and plants to make it look natural.

I have goldfish in mine. I bought $5.00 worth of feeder goldfish 15 years ago and still have their offspring in my pond. I don’t feed them often so they are pretty self sufficient. I do have aeration in the winter.

MrC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the idea of critters going in and out is fun as is watching them. Know that raccoons can do damage to your house. My BIL has had raccoons climb up into the soffit and having babies there. Most of the critters you are thinking of are nocturnal so you may not see them much. Also, if you plan on goldfish, raccoons will eat them. So will some turtles. That’s why many builder recommend a drop off between the edge of the pond and the water. It is lots of fun to have frogs and toads breed in the pond. They sing, rather loudly during mating season. I like it but some may not. It is loud And they can sing all night for several weeks. If you have feral cats in the area they will love having fresh water available.

Im not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know know what you might run into. A quick YouTube search has videos of building raised ponds shows ways of building them. You could grade the sides to the raised height and use rock and plants to make it look natural.

I have goldfish in mine. I bought $5.00 worth of feeder goldfish 15 years ago and still have their offspring in my pond. I don’t feed them often so they are pretty self sufficient. I do have aeration in the winter.

I've been scrolling YouTube today for ideas. It's all in my head at the moment and all information is appreciated. Also I'm in the UK.

The grading is something I've been looking at today. I enjoy the planning stage and I've got time to work everything out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MrC Hello and welcome! What kind of wildlife are you considering? Frogs and the like? Or larger things like deer? Unfortunately, I am not good at designing things, but there are a lot of good videos on YouTube that can give you inspiration.

@Sewreader Also, Hello and Welcome to you, as well! Why not pop over to our “introductions“ topic and tell us about yourself and your pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1616692992412.gif
@Mr C

MrC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@MrC Hello and welcome! What kind of wildlife are you considering? Frogs and the like? Or larger things like deer? Unfortunately, I am not good at designing things, but there are a lot of good videos on YouTube that can give you inspiration.

@Sewreader Also, Hello and Welcome to you, as well! Why not pop over to our “introductions“ topic and tell us about yourself and your pond!

Little critters like frogs, newts, various insects etc. Normally I'd say I would never see a deer in my garden but now I'm not so sure. I was walking the dog the other day at a Nature Reserve 10 minutes away and I deer ran across the path. Shocked is probably an understatement.

I was leaning away from the timber idea then I saw this and thought I'd like a bit of that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The eone insect he never mentions is the mosquitos any body of water with no movement will breed skeeters

MrC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been giving those some thought, would a waterfall, air stone, mosquito dunks or even some small male fish that stay small work?

I'd like to avoid fish if I can and certainly anything bigger than say a male Guppy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
minnows do a good job of eating biters and stay small

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
minnows can take cold water / guppies can not

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
People in warmer areas do keep guppies in ponds. There's one video I have seen this guy has the wet dream of dreams set up he has a pond for chitlids another for bass and trout and then ofcourse is the koi pond. 100s of feet of stream I believe he had like a total of 100000 gallon cistern. Amazing place and video

Ask a Question