Help with pre filter choice

Reaction score
I'm building a 1200-1500 gallon below ground koi pond. 3 inch bottom drain, sand and gravel 55 gallon drum filter that will be pump fed, either a waterfall bio filter or just a waterfall weir, I need help with what pre filter before pump to use. I am looking to try to keep cleaning of the pond filters to once a week if possible. I need to keep cost low. I don't have a huge backyard, and I can't place a 55 gallon settling chamber filter near the pond. I can fit something up to about 10 gallon next to pond as a pre filter, or place something away from pond above ground. I can either do above or below water level pump. I don't have trees or much debris to worry about. Hope this covers All the info you need. I would like to spend less than$150 on the prefilter if possible. I am open to DIY filters. Thank you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm building a 1200-1500 gallon below ground koi pond.
At that size I personally would stick with goldfish, shubunkins have great colors and are easier on pond water. 1500 gallons is good for 2 koi with great filtration. (per the koi keepers on the forum).

Reaction score
At that size I personally would stick with goldfish, shubunkins have great colors and are easier on pond water. 1500 gallons is good for 2 koi with great filtration. (per the koi keepers on the forum).
Thanks. I'll look into that

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your pump external or internal? Mine is external, I just have a leaf basket before it. I do not have a bottom drain. And don't filter with factory type filters, I only use a bog, pea gravel and plants. No settling chamber. The only filter cleaning I do is yanking excess plant growth.

My hot tub pond, 300ish gallons I have a laguna submersible pump with a matala pre filter on it. I don't clean it all summer, but that pond only has fan tails in it and only around 8 or so. And a ton of plants.

similar to this

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have an internal pump and I have it hooked up to the same prefilter as @addy.
I clean the prefilter every month or so in the Summer when things are dirtier than in the Spring, Fall and Winter. I leave mine in all year long.
This is similar to what my set up looks like:
Prefilter diagram.jpg

In the pictures below I have two screwed together but I have since separated them and use one
on one pump and one on another pump. Easier to lift out w/only one by itself.

IMG_5385.JPG

Sucking up the gunk:

IMG_5816.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How have those filters held up JW .I know you and colleen have had them for awhile

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They are holding up fine. I am just lazy about dragging them up w/the attached rope to them to clean. Does not take long to clean them but I removed the inner more dense core filter and left the outer media as the dense one clogs up for me too fast. But then I do have too many fish so I'm sure that is the issue. feeding them makes it worse so I have backed off some in their meals.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How have those filters held up JW .I know you and colleen have had them for awhile
I have one in the deck pond (325 gph circulating pump), one in the hot tub pond. I usually only clean them at the end of the season. They are still as if new, when they are cleaned. Good filters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I always worried about them clogging and then making the pump work harder and possibly burning out a pump .I know I check my laguna pumps electric use and I know when I have to clean the pump cage .I love this smart home stuff as it lets you know when something may be using more power than it should and may need to be looked at closer .I wouldn't mind one of those if it was a cheaper pump but worry about my laguna pumps ..I noticed today that the bubble for my fridge in electric use had gone up a little and it turned out to be that my son put a box in the freezer against the port from it to the fridge .It warned me about the hot water heater but I was busy researching what hot water heater to get and it burst and lucky it has a drain pan that pipe went to outside .Never ignore a warning again ,act fast .I just replaced the anode rod 2 years ago and back flush the tank often but still happened .New one cleans itself and more better energy saver also

Ask a Question