Help with Rehoming Fee

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
. Most of my customers have ponds smaller than mine.( Both over 4000). A lot of the time the size of the fish can be determined by how much they are fed and the type of food. I use a color growth food and feed several times a day. That can give you a 24" koi in 2 years! Genetics also play a roll. I have some koi 10 years old at 18".
I see, so I must have a certain line in my pond that when they breed, it is producing the bigger bulkier koi that those 3 orange ones? They are so healthy and bulky looking all the time. Maybe I should keep them and let some of the smaller ones that don't grow go to keep the robust line going? lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Problem with not asking a fee is it weeds out people who are not serious. Many people see the word free and have to have it. A live animal cost money to keep correctly, if people don't want to spend money on fee you can bet they will cut corners anywhere they can in care.
I have thought of this also. If they don't have an investment in it, do they really care if they lose it? They are willing to pay a fee, but I'm having second thoughts of what ones to let go.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had this problem this year. Had to reduce numbers and figure out who goes and who stays. Its tough. I was able to get some of the fish that I didn't really want to let go of to people I knew that had good ponds. It's a matter of taking the chance on the new homes or knowing you will have problems with being overstocked and losing everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What would be the best net to try and catch a fish that large? I want to have my own so nothing gets transferred from someone bringing one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've read where a pan net, is best for guiding koi into a container / tub, you have floating on it's side in the pond.

http://www.watergarden.org/Large-Koi-Net-Pondmaster This link is an example of what I'm describing and they come in various sizes.

They are pricey. I don't have one, I put on my waders, lower the pond water significantly and use my regular old pond net from our local fish hatchery. The koi I'm catching are small, as I do this every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've read where a pan net, is best for guiding koi into a container / tub, you have floating on it's side in the pond.

http://www.watergarden.org/Large-Koi-Net-Pondmaster This link is an example of what I'm describing and they come in various sizes.

They are pricey. I don't have one, I put on my waders, lower the pond water significantly and use my regular old pond net from our local fish hatchery. The koi I'm catching are small, as I do this every year.
Thank you. I will look into that. I know it is going to be difficult, as I don't intend to do a big drain to catch them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thank you. I will look into that. I know it is going to be difficult, as I don't intend to do a big drain to catch them.
I think having 2 people, when you do this, would make it easier. One can use the net to guide the koi, to the container the other person is holding half submerged in the pond. I'm anxious to hear how it works out for you.

Ask a Question