Help with wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just dug my and built my first pond sizes are 220cm * 135cm * 120cm but my problem is one of my sides have caved in and fell down could somebody advise on how to fix the wall and if I don't fill the wall back in will it cause damage to liner when I fit it thanks for any advice in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_151732.jpg
    IMG_20210524_151732.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210524_151739.jpg
    IMG_20210524_151739.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 64

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The liner would, might be damage by those stakes unless you can remove them, cover them. When filling with water the liner will just go under the wood and up against the dirt.

Welcome to our forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like you have a retaining wall just behind this wood wall that you've constructed. I can't tell what is behind it, though. Is it just a freestanding garden wall or is it retaining some soil and other loads? Looks like there might be a patio behind it? A patio and retaining wall directly over an open hole is really asking for trouble.

These kinds of collapses are telling you that you have dug beyond the angle at which your soil can support itself.

There's another thread that popped up yesterday with a similar issue.

I suggested a number of possible fixes in that thread if you want to check it out.

It's possible that, when you fill your liner with water, the pressure of the water against the liner will be enough to withhold the soil. But I probably wouldn't count on it, especially since you have everything open right now and can easily do something about it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like you have a retaining wall just behind this wood wall that you've constructed. I can't tell what is behind it, though. Is it just a freestanding garden wall or is it retaining some soil and other loads? Looks like there might be a patio behind it? A patio and retaining wall directly over an open hole is really asking for trouble.

These kinds of collapses are telling you that you have dug beyond the angle at which your soil can support itself.

There's another thread that popped up yesterday with a similar issue.

I suggested a number of possible fixes in that thread if you want to check it out.

It's possible that, when you fill your liner with water, the pressure of the water against the liner will be enough to withhold the soil. But I probably wouldn't count on it, especially since you have everything open right now and can easily do something about it.

Thanks for the response the wall behind is a little into the ground to give off a trench affect was like that when we moved in , I'll check the other post for your answers , cause I'd like to fix it before putting the liner in cause know my luck more would cave when liners in potentially ripping it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

These kinds of collapses are telling you that you have dug beyond the angle at which your soil can support

It's possible that, when you fill your liner with water, the pressure of the water against the liner will be enough to withhold the soil. But I probably wouldn't count on it,
The collapse has undermind the wood wall wood can certainly span a area but it appears there's not a whe lot left holding up the retaining wall. The other question tfat comes to mind is how far is that concrete retaining wall if it's under a couple feet you may have to insure there's no more shifting.. did this collapse happen after a rain ? It appears to be a solid b soil you could dig out the collapse to undisturbed soil place a couple of the 6 x6 making what we call a mud sill. Then fill from there up to your wall with vertical support studs of 6x6 set back so you can install a 3/4 pt plywood but in time this will fail. Your best bet is to cinderblock it like I did in my build for the same reason as it undermined my patio. I made a footing and then built the cinderblock up from there rebar drilled into the footing and bays latter pour full with concrete. It sounds like a lot of work but it took me no more then one weekend to do far more then you have to repair.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The collapse has undermind the wood wall wood can certainly span a area but it appears there's not a whe lot left holding up the retaining wall. The other question tfat comes to mind is how far is that concrete retaining wall if it's under a couple feet you may have to insure there's no more shifting.. did this collapse happen after a rain ? It appears to be a solid b soil you could dig out the collapse to undisturbed soil place a couple of the 6 x6 making what we call a mud sill. Then fill from there up to your wall with vertical support studs of 6x6 set back so you can install a 3/4 pt plywood but in time this will fail. Your best bet is to cinderblock it like I did in my build for the same reason as it undermined my patio. I made a footing and then built the cinderblock up from there rebar drilled into the footing and bays latter pour full with concrete. It sounds like a lot of work but it took me no more then one weekend to do far more then you have to repair.
Thanks for the response , the brick wall is about a foot to 18inch away from the wood wall , so from what I've seen on other posts and taking into account yours and one others advice I'm going to have to remove a bit more mud and install some supports then try to board the wall off and hope it holds till my liner is In place

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If tge other wall is only a foot away I would NOT remove any more soil. I would cover the entire area if you are to get any rain. As a builder and if it were my home a concrete footing and an concrete reinforced concrete wall weather it it block or poured concrete even a retaining wall block would not be high on my list of choices. Your probably looking at 3 feet of hill side being held back at a absolute minimum and if I had to take an educated guess your closer to 5 feet and that's a lot of weight and pressures.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If tge other wall is only a foot away I would NOT remove any more soil. I would cover the entire area if you are to get any rain. As a builder and if it were my home a concrete footing and an concrete reinforced concrete wall weather it it block or poured concrete even a retaining wall block would not be high on my list of choices. Your probably looking at 3 feet of hill side being held back at a absolute minimum and if I had to take an educated guess your closer to 5 feet and that's a lot of weight and pressures.
So on your suggestion would I be better off filling the hole with concrete and then skimming the base and other walls as well will this hold ?? Also somebody suggested I use foam filler to fill the gap would that hold onto the mud , unfortunately I'm a complete novice who's out of my depth trying to help my dad out cause he can't do it himself

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your soil does not look terrible though from a picture it's almost impossible to judge correctly. I'm guessing you dug the hole got a few rain storms and found the side falling in.
To be honest I would not have dug a hole a foot a way from a retaining wall. More then likely this will not pass code. Unless you secure this area. That being my suggestion being a concrete wall 6 or 8 inches thick. That sits on a footing of concrete with rebar . Once footing is set start installing your block and drill out for a vertical rebar. That will go up in either every other or every space between the blocks bring it up to the height of th e wood retaining wall and fill the pockets of the block with concrete. Some people swear by the concrete retaining walls such as you have but I guess I'm old school and build things to last I'm not a fan of building things twice. But I sure do hate tearing something I build years earlier due to plans changing..
A skim coat will do nothing but crack and make issues to puncture the liner. You would need rebar and guide to do a thin coat

Ask a Question