addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. As you can see our yard is slightly sloped and we are thinking of building the low side up some. What are your thoughts on that?

You can use some of your dirt from the dig to build up the low side. I used my dirt to make a berm. If you want to make it look natural, make the dirt to the height you need, slope it out into your yard, rather than a hump. You can also make the dirt build up irregular in shape which also makes it look more natural.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Roofing liner is just fine. I always wash mine off w/ the hose before installing it just to get any residue that may have gathered on it in storage. Made two ponds using the stuff and no problems w/ fish or plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true they coat them with a powder to keep them from sticking because they store them away for so long .Remember to lay it out in the sun for awhile so it is more flexible and the wrinkles will be easier to work with .

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Much discussion has been given to the slope of the yard. I'm thinking pond depth needs to be based on the lowest point of yard and the pond needs to be level from this point? Suggestions on making sure the area is level? Does bottom of pond need to be level as well? I think we will dig entire pond to a depth of 24" from the lowest point in yard and then dig a portion of the pond to a depth of 36". Can I get some feedback on how ya'll have done your ponds?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The depth of my pond is 5 feet, based on the lowest part of my yard that would make it zero feet.
If you take the up slope side the depth from original ground level down is 9 feet (4 feet dug down for the top edge) from the down slope side it is zero depth from original ground level, the ground was built up 5 feet.

My yard was too sloped to pick the lowest point and make the pond level from there.

The bottom of my pond slopes, you can make it flat or slope it. with slopeing it helps the muck to settle to the lower end.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My pond is 36" deep at the deepest and that area is only about 3'x4' the rest of the pond is about 24" deep. It all slopes to the deepest part. I wish I would have made my pond 4' deep and if and when I redo it that will be on the list of things to do. As Larkin said I would make the pond as big as you can b/c you will most likely want bigger by the following year. To make sure your pond is level especially if digging out the high side and putting the dirt on the low side I used a string level so I knew where the water level would be. Another easier tool is to use a clear tube and make a water level out of that, there are instructions online.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That was the hardest part, making the sucker level, even now you think it is not level, looking at it. The slope throws your brain off. I used a laser level, still had to adjust the low side higher, water needs level............it just flows out if there is a low spot..........darn stuff.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hopefully the leveling process will not be as hard as I'm making it. :razz: Todd after looking at some of your pictures it helps alot. Why do you wish you had made yours 4 ft deep? Do you have Koi in your ponds? We have also been told that since we want Koi, they need some sort of "tunnel or cave" to be able to hide from any predators. What has everyone used in their ponds for this purpose?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
4 feet really gives your fish a better chance against predators, the water stays far more stable in temps, and You'll find many times that the fish prefer to hang around in the deep hole because they feel more secure. As for the bottom, No it doesn't need to be level. Lot's of folks actually slightly slope the bottom so that the muck builds up at the lowest point so it makes it easier to clean out during maintance. Koi Like hiding holes at certain times of the year, other times they won't use it at all. usually in my case the most common time is during big temp swings such as the pond cooling off quickly during a cold front. then they all try and get in one cave. A easy and cheap thing to use is large drainage pipe. Black in color so it blends in fairly well on the pond liner. large enough to allow 20"+ koi to be able to use, and it has holes along the side so that helps keep waste build up from accumilating inside. It's by far not needed but you will find from time to time that the fish appreciate the thought.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I feel like as soon as I get one question answered, I have another. We are planning on constructing our own Skippy filter and I am wondering do we need a skimmer. The pond kits that we've looked at have a waterfall weir and a skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You're very lucky, Pondlover, to have this forum! You will get pointers left and right throughout your build. And, you are asking some super questions so early on as well. Keep asking, and the experts will keep answering!
As proof, I just built my first ever pond this past May. I had started out wanting it about 6x10 and it ended up getting MUCH larger the more I read on this forum, and the more fun I ahd digging. It ended up to be pretty much 20x10. The worst part of the change was the cost of the liner. BUT, I found that, at least where I live, there was no shipping expense and the local lumber yard delivered the size liner I wanted right to my door. And, whatever size I ended up getting (my pond is 48" in the middle, 42" on each side), I was able to move it all by myself ... well with the hand use of my utility tractor and loader. I'm only 5', so that was quite a feat, but where there's a will, there's a way. I rolled the folded up bundle onto the scoop, drove it to the yard, unloaded it, and opened it up. Then, I meticulously folded it so that when I lowered it into the pond, I hoped to be able to unfold it lenghwise, and then widthwise, and have it close to where I wanted it. I have no idea how I got so darn lucky, but it was EXACTLY where I needed it to be! I hope you have as much luck in that regard as I had.
And, as everyone keeps harping on you, go bigger! I already am planning to add to my pond, but make a separate pond, hopefully with a stream in between the two ponds, and maybe a small bridge over the stream, and separate my goldfish from the koi. I realize if the water is flowing from one pond to the other, the possibility of baby fry moving from one to the other is there, but it may be more of an artificial stream (water pumped over the edge, rather than flowing naturally), so that may help with the baby movement.
Believe me, once you have a few koi, you will want more, and the more you have, the bigger the pond needs to be. Good luck, and keep posting pics. I'm loving watch your build!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Skimmers are GREAT, especially if you have leaves. They pull anything that is floating to help clear the water, whereas your other pump for the waterfall may pull water from the bottom. I find my skimmer does a great job at cleaning up the upper inches of the water. I vote YES on the skimmer. :LOL:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
great posts CE, I too vote yes on the skimmer. There are many options but for a good first pond it can be a vital piece of equipment with really a low cost per debris removal for the system on the market I can't say much for or against the Skippy filter as I've yet to try one. But I've looked them over and it's a idea I would be willing to try and work with when and if the opportunity becomes available.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I can't express how lucky I feel to have this forum. My husbnd and I have gone on several of our local pond tours and I was hooked. We've taken some of our ideas from what we've seen so far. Currently the actually water holding part of the pond is 12x20, this doesn't include the waterfall. I getting concerned that I'm going to want bigger. I love everything about them. From the sound to the fish, plants, etc. sooooo now I need to
Convince hubby to maybe go to a 12x16. As we ate digging the whole looks big but I guess when complete its not Going to look so big. We definitely have plenty of room to go bigger.
What size pump should we get? And do y'all think a 55 gal bio filter will be enough for my pond? Maximum depth will be 3 ft.
Many thanks to all who are assisting through experience.

Ask a Question