sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Think of it like the tank is like your hot water heater,what size hot water heater do you have .I drain that from the bottom once a year to clear the silt out of the bottom and I have replace the anode rod once .I just connect the hose to the hot water heater and turn the electric to the tank off and water off to it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Around here, if water is bad tasting or has any type of odor, they say to put a certain number of gallons of bleach per gallons in the well. I'm talking about the wide wells, like I have, which is 3' wide. Usually the bleach is for getting rid of bacteria as Sissy said, that may find a way into your well. I have a concrete casing well. The casings fit on top of each other. There is no seal in between them, so any water line along the way down could feed the well. My first house had a well that was 52' deep, but they hit a good vein of water at 30. The reason they go deeper is to have a resevoir to use from.
I would think that every well would have a holding tank, which Sissy mentioned. I have a very small one in my house, maybe 10 gallons. It has a pressure gauge on it, and could be set higher if you wanted more pressure, but would have to make sure the holding tank would be comparable to the pressure. In my case, the pump is in the well, it pumps water to the house holding tank, and when I turn on the water it pulls from the holding tank. Sometimes the pumps are in the house or on the top of the well, and they "pull" the water from the well, but mine "pushes" it to the house from the bottom of the well.
Around here, my former neighbor dug a deep well, as they had 2 wells and still did not find a good water vein. So, they went deep, and it stunk like sewer! They used it for their horses (poor horses) and the other well for the house. Still had to watch how much water they used. Typically gas veins are deeper down and that's why the deep wells have more of a tendency to have gasy smells to the water. Sounds like you had a really great well guy, Sissy. Did he "witch" it first? I bet he did! We had 2 guys come and witch for water (you know, with the forked stick of some type of tree, it pulls downward when they walked over good water veins) and they both indicated the same spot! How's that for modern technology. LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a large holding tank, the outside hose bibs bypass the holding tank, they are straight pump flow.

sorry pondlover we have sort of diverted from your build...............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oops, Addy is so correct! My apologies as well!
So, what are the weekend plans for you, Lena? How is the pond clearning up? I remember when I had green water, and everyone kept saying, "Be patient". I thought I would go nuts, and it was only a week or so, but it did clear up! So, we can't tell you enough, be patient! Do you have plants chosen that you will want to get as soon as the water warms up more? I know you have a couple of Shubunkins. :) Show us a pic of your new babies. They are fairly easy to photograph in an aquarium.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry here too PL and hope you are able to work on your pond and enjoy watching your new fishies!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
LOL.... No apologies necessary. Pond has cleared up some, but not enough. I've turned the water off going to the bog, since it's pretty clear and now just have it going all to the waterfall/filter. Here is a pic I took this morning. I just love love love my pond. :heartpump:

photo_2.jpg photo_7.jpg
CE - My husband is the one who needs to exercise patience. It's driving him nuts. I told him the other night - it will clear!!!! I know since it's to early to add fish that I'm okay with waiting.

Plans for this weekend are to try and get the edging in and to possibly work on the walkway. With the rain we got yesterday it is a muddy mess. Husband on the other hand is ready to get the boat out and start fishing.
:goldfish:
I've done so much googling trying to figure out how to hide the back side of the stock tank. Retaining wall, rocks, dirt, ???? Still not sure what we'll do there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well an easy cheat is that rock on a roll, I have used it for some of my slope sides, hard to stack rock vertical. With some tweaking it, folds, bends etc, you could make it look like rock.. It looks good just hanging but better tweaked a little.

http://www.rock-on-a-roll.com/

It comes in gray and brown now.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow addy that was amazing seeing the transformations using that stuff! So many uses too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For every bend in my stream i had an average of a 3 foot drop, If you tried to dig into the hill to create shelves for rocks, it messed up the part of the stream above. To create the stream I had to dig into the slope by around 1.5 feet. I ended up with a lot of sheer vertical areas of liner, that is where the rock on a roll worked beautifully.

The dirt slopes, above the stream legs, ended up with creeping plants, coming from the top growing down over the slope, some rocks stuck into the slope.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Another load of gravel in pickup and it's time to get to work. I bought a concrete mold and hubby and I are going to try and make a stepping stone walkway. Pictures to follow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Pictures .... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: My former sister-in-law did that concrete form stepping stone stuff and hers looks really neat! Bet yours will as well. Will be lots of heavy hard work, but ohhhhh the results will be wonderful!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will look great! keep us posted with pictures

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think MuckyWaters here did that too w/ making stones from a mold and it turned out really nice! Just saw a video of it that they put up in their pond/patio build. Will be looking forward to seeing your pix PL.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hopefully everyone had a wonderful weekend. Another productive weekend here, thanks to the beautiful weather. We used the concrete mold and would like to thank the creator. What a wonderful item. LOL The hardest part was making sure the dogs kept their little paw prints off till it hardened. Husband is now a believer that the water will clear. We could actually see the "Koi Cave" that we put on the bottom. I am so ready to begin planting. I did get some of the edging in. I think we are going to need a Uhaul to get enough mulch. :>)

photo (36).JPGphoto (37)a.jpg photo (40).JPG

Ask a Question