Hey. I'm new here & I lost my frogs!

Lor

Reaction score
Hey people. As way of introduction: I live in Miami and I have an oddly shaped pond which I think is about 1500 gal. I have a mag pump 1800, a skimmer, and a 32 gal. filter. The pond is about a year old and is doing pretty well. Oh and also a 3 foot waterfall with its own pump which I don't turn on much. Animals: dragonflies, guppies, snails, a couple of snakes. Plants: water hyacinth, 2 lilies, many submersed plants, string algae (but not too bad). Well that's about it. My problem is the frogs. At first there were some tiny tiny frogs born. I had lots of tree frogs and even a couple of bufo toads. Lots of tadpoles. But now, maybe 6 or 7 months on, the tadpoles disappear in a week and the frogs are gone. Maybe 1 or two come around. I loved those guys. What do you think is happening? Anyone? Thanks, Lor

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and they will be back and they will bring friends and you will go deaf by all the noise :cheerful:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
they come and go. I see 1000's of tads, never see 1000's of frogs

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

The frogs & toads will come & go. Some will leave their "water home," and live somewhere else until it's time again to breed. Then, they'll seek water, and they'll be back. Last year we had a few frogs & toads visit, off & on. This year, it's been off & on, but the frequency of the "on" is more, and I've had many more visual sightings -- more tadpoles, too.

Be patient ;)

Reaction score
WELCOME! :wave:
Tree frogs don't "live" in water, they like moist areas and mostly only seek out water when they spawn. Bullfrogs, if they like your pond they'll stay :) Best thing to do if youhavent already, is have lots of places for them to hide and feel safe. Pretty soon you'll have so many, you'll be catching them and putting them in the crick' down the way. ;) Lol

Lor

Reaction score
Well thanks everyone. I love the speedy replies! But no one has addressed the disappearance of the tadpoles. Not one has made it to frogdom in many months. And there are millions when they hatch. A few days later, all gone. The guppies wouldn't be eating them all up, would they?

Reaction score
I am in West Va and my tree frog babies are the size of small house fies when the turn, they dont do water is right they belly up and die if they get wet. I have so many I cant walk in the yard at times and then they are off and gone dont see any till the next mass exit

Reaction score
I'm baffled. The frogs and toads may lead short lives, but tadpoles usually live to leave the pond, unless they are tasty ones and you have goldfish. My goldies cleaned out any tadpoles in the pond (including the Cuban tree frog that most fish don't like) until the toads (not bufo) moved in. Toadpoles taste nasty and can make a fish sick. For about a year, they wouldn't eat any tadpole, but now have realized that some tads are good to eat and some aren't, and they're eating the good ones again.

Any possibility you have unknown fish in there? Guppies can't eat tads, but people do find fish in their ponds that they didn't put there. Often they are dropped in by predatory birds.

Reaction score
They could be eaten or hiding or died of natural causes. No way we can know. I have several frogs in my pond but never see more than a couple at a time. I went from seeing around 5 different frogs to 0 at one point. Turns out they had all fallen into my egress window and died. But more are back now.

Lor

Reaction score
Hey thanks for input! Yes, I think the dragonfly larvae eat a lot of the tads and yes, who knows what's lurking in the depths of the pond. I have an area 3 feet deep that I havent seen in a long time and the pond itself is so full of plants, who knows? I put a giant pleco in there last winter (not that it would have eaten tads) but he died of unknown causes. I guess I have to be happy with the guppies right now! Thanks again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-27_8-27-18.gif
@Lor

Ask a Question