Hi all from (not so sunny) South Yorkshire, U.K. lol !!

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been "pond keeping" for about 4 years now. Last year I upgraded my 7x4x2 preformed "kidney" shaped pond into a 9x9x4 semi raised one with shelving at 18 inches depth on one side & shear walls on the other 3 sides.
The pond is situated in a south facing garden & is more or less in full sun which is great for us, but I'm considering erecting some kind of pergola to shade the pond. The inhabitants of the pond are Shubunkins, Comets, Tench & Orfe with a couple of small Koi & Sturgeon.
I'm currently battling an algae bloom, not suffered one for a couple of years so shouldn't really complain!

NEW POND 1.JPG
NEW POND 2.JPG
OLD POND.JPG

It's still a work in progress but at least it gets out of the house lol !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the Forum from a not to sunny Plymouth Devon :LOL: loved the pond we have a raised one ourselves which I prefare personally over ponds that are at ground level but then that our choice , theres nothing like leaning on the pond watching the koi swim lazily by :cool: truth is I couldnt kneel down if I tried :LOL:
Where in Yorkshire are you from , I have realtives in Batley, and Upper Mill.
I was born in Oldham but left to see the world at an early age settling in the plac I feel at home The West Country ahh you cant beat it (y).

Dave

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from a not to sunny Plymouth Devon :LOL: loved the pond we have a raised one ourselves which I prefare personally over ponds that are at ground level but then that our choice , theres nothing like leaning on the pond watching the koi swim lazily by :cool: truth is I couldnt kneel down if I tried :LOL:
Where in Yorkshire are you from , I have realtives in Batley, and Upper Mill.
I was born in Oldham but left to see the world at an early age settling in the plac I feel at home The West Country ahh you cant beat it (y).

Dave
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the comments regarding my pond. I live just outside Doncaster. I too went "roaming" at an early age but came back after 12 years to the village I grew up in :rolleyes:. I couldn't agree with you more regarding raised ponds, I spend hours just sitting next to or leaning on the pond watching the fish go about their business :D
Regards,
Paul

Reaction score
Hi,
I like your design. I'm just designing a raised pond, and I like the look of yours.
Regards,
Chris
Hi Chris,
Thank you for the comments regarding my pond, its still a work in progress! Not sure whether to put paving or decking around it. The water features are my own design using an old plastic plant pot & pea gravel for one & some left over timber/pond liner & a small piece of guttering for the other. Good luck with your design, hope it goes well, as you probably know, the end result is worth all the hard work :).
Regards,
Paul

Ask a Question