j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The banana plant I have called Musa Bajoo is hardy to -20*F but not the leaves and stalk. It comes back from the roots every year so I don't have to bring it in. It can get up to 13ft tall in one summer even here in our cooler temps.
It is supposed to get banana's but they are the fiber ones and non-edible unless you like sitting in the bathroom for the rest of your life.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi all, today my son and i got the wheel in position and i started the bottom tray. but need to get somemore timber tomorrow. I also balanced the wheel it took [3 hours] a 16mm spade bi,t five holes. inserts mini rolls of lead into paddles and reseal holes then replace the cover strip on paddle......hay presto....you cannot see weight....but wheel spins great. Some more photos of today progresss.

Attachments

• DSC00614.JPG
    DSC00614.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00619.JPG
    DSC00619.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00617.JPG
    DSC00617.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC00615.JPG
    DSC00615.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 234

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Fun project, the balancing turned out ok and it always stops in a new place I assume. This is for sure a work of art! The best piece of Master Craftsmanship I have seen on this Forum. Hats off to you. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JW how does it handle the winds?

tmann, I have it up against the house on the south side where there is a wall of the house on the east side so it only gets wind from south and not much from the west either cuz other trees and front porch kinda protect it.

I did have it in a windy spot before and it whipped around some but held it's own quite well.

Attachments

• IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 267

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
hi all, today my son and i got the wheel in position and i started the bottom tray. but need to get somemore timber tomorrow. I also balanced the wheel it took [3 hours] a 16mm spade bi,t five holes. inserts mini rolls of lead into paddles and reseal holes then replace the cover strip on paddle......hay presto....you cannot see weight....but wheel spins great. Some more photos of today progresss.

Hooray you are almost ready for the water test...............and it looks soooooooooo nice in it's rightful position by your pond there all standing up proud and tall
thtoot.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep tmann and you can put mulch over it when it dies down to the ground if it gets wayyyyyy colder in your area and then just be sure to take it off in the Spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
whiskey that is so beautiful! fantastic job! I hope you are not pushing yourself too hard.

whiskey

Reaction score
hi everybody today we took the wheel off, so i could work on the collection tray, which went to gether very well. We had a change of heart about direction of wheel, its now going to be anti clockwise.....so to show water falling, from wheel paddles, onto tray, ending up in watertop end of pond. This means water wheel will now be an "overshot" not a "breastshot". So tomorrow i will have to make a shute above the wheel, to place water in middle of wheel, so it can cascade down paddles into water.

Attachments

• DSC00621.JPG
    DSC00621.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00620.JPG
    DSC00620.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 254

whiskey

Reaction score
todays photos show balancing of wheel via paddles, drilling out timber using 16mm spade drill infilling with 3" rolls of lead, once inserted replace the cover filet and make good.I also made a wider tray to catch falling water, and we did do a trial run .........and the wheel works fine, but need to hide pipe work before i video wheel working

Attachments

• DSC00622.JPG
    DSC00622.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00623.JPG
    DSC00623.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC00625.JPG
    DSC00625.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 261

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is coming together! fantastic can't wait to see your video of it running.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lot's of little tying ups of the this's and that's before it really gets into full action Whiskey. I still wait patiently and looks fine to me..........when is the grand opening? Are we there yet? Huh, huh..........are we there yet........aw shuck's we aren't there yet :trampolin:

Ask a Question