Hi everyone,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
and because it's a Noble gas, it doesn't dissolve in water, either, so...
Yes, insoluble in water, but since it’s so light, would it actually STAY on the surface of the water, or would it rise and dissipate in the surrounding air? I can’t imagine little “pockets” of helium floating on the water. And even if it did, how long would it remain there?

Anyway, back to @Maggie moo ‘s question, NO, there is something else going on with your pond, most likely what we call a water quality issue, unrelated to a helium balloon.

So, I am suggesting that all of us science geeks (I love science!) start a new thread to discuss the science of helium and water……and get back to OP’s actual problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Yes, insoluble in water, but since it’s so light, would it actually STAY on the surface of the water, or would it rise and dissipate in the surrounding air? I can’t imagine little “pockets” of helium floating on the water. And even if it did, how long would it remain there?

Anyway, back to @Maggie moo ‘s question, NO, there is something else going on with your pond, most likely what we call a water quality issue, unrelated to a helium balloon.

So, I am suggesting that all of us science geeks (I love science!) start a new thread to discuss the science of helium and water……and get back to OP’s actual problem.
Helium is used into baloons to raise em into air...if nothing keep helium it will go up...isnt like cookin gas that stay at bottom :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry @Maggie moo it was just so far out I thought it was unreal. Goes to show we learn something new each day. Hope you can figure out the real issue going on w/perhaps a test kit or some fantastic advice from those who are more scientifically oriented.
1643395452503.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
awwww c'mon Maggie#1--can't we keep this 'Helium Killed My Fish' thang going a bit longer???? sniff, sniff...I never gets no fun 'round here...;):oops:
hi, yes it is a very strange question (said in a Donald Duck voice) I’ll try to think of a funny quip for you just to add some laughs on here.
So back to the helium saga. I managed to take some fish out the pond they are still alive this morning.
I’ve tested the water nothing showed up but there is a slight slick of some chemical floating on the water, my guess is diesel, I could detect the smell. I haven’t got any such chemical on my property so that leaves me to believe some one has poisend the fish. “Why“I can’t ans that but there are some nasty people around in this world. Any how I’m guessing I’ll have to empty the whole pond throw all the plants away, scrub the filter and pump then replace the pond liner and start again after 20 years of looking after my fish, rearing the babies, I must have had 40 or more babies last year. i Can’t see any other way of getting rid of the diesel?
im truly gutted (upset) to say the least. Thank you to every one, the helium Will be a subject you will all know about and be able to ans.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi @Maggie moo sorry you are having problems could you please take a picture of the slick/oil on the top of your pond ? as that could help in sorting this out before you empty and scrub everything. cheers mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi @Maggie moo sorry you are having problems could you please take a picture of the slick/oil on the top of your pond ? as that could help in sorting this out before you empty and scrub everything. cheers mark
I agree with Yorkshire; you may not have to do that much as diesel should stay on top and I'd imagine if you can skim it off, then test the water, you may be okay. The slick would have stopped the oxygenation process.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry everybody thought you were a bot, a one hit and gone post. You are the first with a helium issue. Everybody has jumped on board to help you out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hi, yes it is a very strange question (said in a Donald Duck voice) I’ll try to think of a funny quip for you just to add some laughs on here.
And appreciate you adding some laughs. We have a friendly happy group, most of the time lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Maggie moo You tested your water. What do you mean by, “nothing showed up?” What did you test for and what were the results?

I sincerely hope no one poisoned your fish. Agree with @yorkshire pudding that you need to send us pics of your pond!
yep; it helps to know the actual numbers, not 'all was within normal ranges' or something like that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very strange and awful if someone would do that to your pond just out of the blue @Maggie moo
Do you have close neighbors that have had issues w/you? Or someone who works on cars near you that could cause some kind of runoff? If truly oil it had to come from either a person on purpose or something nearby that leaked into the pond. Perhaps you may need a hidden camera set up if you really think it could be a people issue. I suppose there is a far off idea that an animal got into some oil somehow and then went into your pond. Like I said that is a pretty far out idea. I too would like to see photo's of the oil slick. Do you have any kind of pump that could have leaked? Not sure if you have submersible or exterior pump for you pond and I don't even know if either one has oil in it. I don't think the submersible does but not sure.
Also any kids around that have access to your pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Another idea is paint can cause a problem also or crop spraying or spraying for moths etc. from planes. My neighbor has a koi pond and a painter sprayed paint on his new guest house next to the pond. The spray fell over the pond and killed every one of his 20 year old beautiful koi. It was a horrid disaster! We covered our pond w/plastic when our house was painted several years ago and had no issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you have any kind of pump that could have leaked? Not sure if you have submersible or exterior pump for you pond and I don't even know if either one has oil in it. I don't think the submersible does but not sure.
this is good thinking; both types do indeed have oil for lubrication. I opened a sump pump one time and found out first hand. Literally.

Ask a Question