sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and the problem with new fish is the you never know factor .Great filtering can hopefully help the pond .I would also never buy fish at that place again .;):(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome. I have a med fish mate filter and I bought a new pump last year. I don't know what flow rate it is you're getting to technical for me now lol, but I did ask at my fish supplier and they advised me for the size of my pond.

The pond has been established for about 10 years and ive never had a problem before :(

I have lots of frogs too, could this be the problem?
Thanks again for the welcome x

When you bought the pump did you tell your supplier how many fish you had? What size is the med fish mate filter/
For that many fish, you obviously do not have enough bio-filtration or a high enough water flow rate.
A pond can be overstocked and seem OK for quite a while, but then something pushes the system to the tipping point and it crashes. Nature relies on balance in all things and will use its own form of population control to achieve this balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't really question whether the filtration was a problem as all the tests are fine, I have loads of plants and the water is really clear. I don't have anywhere to quarantine really so the guest bath was my idea lol!

I have 2 quite powerful pumps going, one does the filter and one does the waterfall etc.

Country Escapes sorry for your loss, good luck with the fantails, I lost a beautiful butterfly koi to the ulcers last year!

You're all really helpful, I didn't realise this was a mainly USA site, but thank you all so much x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, yes, lots of UK people showing up on this forum, and I love it! Find out there are different critters there than what we have here, and visa versa. Very much fun, like traveling the world, in our own living rooms. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you must not forget the Expats :happy:
We hope all is well Andy been feeding this last week here in Sunny Plymouth after temperatures sky rocketed, we saw 20c in our garden and the pond water temperature is reading 13c , and this has been consistent for over two weeks . hope its warming up where you are mate :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Yes you must not forget the Expats :happy:
We hope all is well Andy been feeding this last week here in Sunny Plymouth after temperatures sky rocketed, we saw 20c in our garden and the pond water temperature is reading 13c , and this has been consistent for over two weeks . hope its warming up where you are mate :happy:

Dave

Hi Dave,

It's been cold here.... we've got higher temps now, but overnight is still 0C.... the water is still under 10C so i haven't been feeding them. Maybe next week. Hope you're both ok.

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We are ok Andy but I'm still coming to terms with my heart going wrong and they are still trying their best to slow the exessive rate its beating at down (three more tablets daily on top of all the other ones but we'll get through it , we always do .
Its all but scuppered the back operation , I cant have surgery whilsts taking a dirivetive of warfarin otherwise I'd have no end of problems including bleeding into the secral sac which could be very dangerous .

Dave

Ask a Question