Hi friends I'm lost with this

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
20150928_171047.jpg Ok I have 5 Kois in my pond. My question is that I have a sprinkler I guess it's called that shoots the water up but when it's on witch I leave on 24/7 I can't see the fish in less I turn it off.
20150928_171029.jpg
Do I need that on for the fish to have more oxygen when I have 3 pumps in there.. I took some pictures of what I have and I want to know is this going to be enough oxygen for the fish of I turn it off and if I turn it off. And I also have a little pump thats not pictured that runs to the waterfall and for the uv light I have on end of the hose that puts the water back in the pond that I have running off a rock so is this enough for the fish were I can turn the shooting water off

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It sounds like you have plenty of water movement without the fountain (or sprinkler, as you called it). Some people, though, will run aerators in their ponds and shut them off only for viewing or feeding their fish. So a lot depends on your pond set up. How many gallons is your pond? How many gallons are you pumping per hour (GPH of all your pumps combined)? We have aerators in our pond that only run from dusk to dawn - the time when a pond will reach it's lowest oxygen level since that's when plants start taking up oxygen as opposed to putting it off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
It's about 500 gallons the pumping water an hr I'm not sure cause I don't understand that part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
It is small I did not want to do a big one yet because I have little kids and I did not want them to fall in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your pumps will each have a GPH - gallons per hour - rating. You want your water to be "turned over" one and a half to two times per hour. So in your case that would be 750 to 1000 GPH. You can add up the totals for your three pumps. You just want to hit that magic number. You also have to consider things like how high you're pumping the water, but that won't be much of a consideration in your small pond - future thought!

Also, let me suggest that you consider two things - #1. your pond is too small for koi and #2' your pond is WAAAAAY too small for 5 koi. I know they are small now, but they will grow very VERY quickly. A 500 gallon pond is best suited for goldfish. Having said that, if you have plans for a bigger pond (and we're talking 1500 gallons plus) then the fish you have would be fine in a larger pond. But don't delay!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
You can just disconnect the sprinkler attachment, tee off two short tubes for underwater aeration. You're probably going to have to do something when it starts freezing anyway. Or if you like seeing the water up, change to a mushroom head, it makes much less waves.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I keep mine running all year long, just that the water fall get's shutdown and the pump just percolates up to keep the surface broken and hopefully a hole that doesn't freeze.
This is how it looks with no attachment

014.JPG

And with the waterfall
017.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
That's cool so for winter take out my uv light my waterfall pump and keep the other pump in the pond that's inside my filter?

Then take off the shooting water thing that goes into my filter box to my pump to make that air bubbler.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
That's cool so for winter take out my uv light my waterfall pump and keep the other pump in the pond that's inside my filter?

Then take off the shooting water thing that goes into my filter box to my pump to make that.
yup, even with the sprayer off you may still get a water spout, it just wont spray everywhere.

Ask a Question