Hi friends I'm lost with this

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Going to need another air pump the guy sold me one for 100 gallons that's not going to be good
Usually that's the rating for an aquarium with no other filtration, get some tee's and split up the air supply into 2 or 3 stones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
On the pump I have inside filter? So take that whole top off put a tee and run a hose and then that's it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
I wonder to if I got one of those fish tank underwater heater to put inside the filter box just so the water won't ice up.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A few comments, and one was also about the rocks as @bettasngoldfish mentioned. And I totally agree regarding the # of koi you have. There are those who will disagree, but those are the people who have far more experience with keeping koi and have far superior filtration [than any of us have]. I think for a pond-newbie, you need to start out very slowly and very conservatively until you learn more and gain more experience. Isn't the "rule of thumb" something like 1000 gallons per koi [or something like that]. Just as a reference [not carved in stone], here is a fish-load calculator to give you an idea...... http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/fish-load-calculator.html

Are you going to turn off your waterfall for the winter?

If you don't have an aerator, you could just take the "head" attachment completely off the pump, and depending on how much flow you get [you don't want to pump the water out of the pond!] just let the water bubble up. If your water freezes, all you're going to need is enough flow to keep a hole open.

And no, you don't have to take the pump out of the water if the pond is 3' deep. As long as it doesn't freeze, it can "winter" in there.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have my summer pumps and then my winter pump and for winter i just use a 1000 gph laguna pump with the pond heater over it and my pond is 5000 gallons

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Turtle Mommy is right, and my calculation is way off. You're mechanical filtration at pretty much at the minimum. As for biological, the few bio balls + whatever colonizes the pre-filter is marginal, especially since your pond is new. When I first started my pond I got a couple pond comets and 1 koi. The koi never did seem quite happy and was my first casualty. I decided then that I didn't want to go the koi route because of the budget I had at the time, and a newborn child to take care of.
Here's another read for you.. That I found on this forum.
http://www.russellwatergardens.com/calculations/how-many-fish-can-i-have-in-my-pond/

Ask a Question