Hi from New Zealand

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't like cement for any pond personally, unless the cement is very old and well worn. Running water can also be very corrosive over time and cement will evently crumble away. I think a proper liner would be better in the long run and avoid the problems that can come with cement. Many many years ago when I first started out, I had a big cement bricks in my pond to make a shelf and I had nothing but problems that year. I also think it would be a good idea to let the cement cure for a year at least, just because you never know for sure, and have heard of many problems in the past with cement.

Reaction score
Right... After monitoring the pH of the sealed parts of the waterfall for 3 weeks with no obvious issues, I decided to finally reintroduce it to the pond system 2 or 3 weeks ago.
I'm happy to say all is okay so far. No climbing pH, odd fish behavior, deaths etc. ALL the fish have grown so much this summer. Algae rapidly formed in the falls within the first few days. It was so thick within days that it looked like it had been in use all along. We are currently in the biggest drought that I can recall with only 1 or 2 days rain since December.

We have also discovered that we have new fry of our own. :banana: This is in addition to our 3 survivors and 13 adoptees. These (7 or more!) fry have been hiding out in the weed, a few of which have changed colour already.

When these grow, what will govern the number of fish in my pond?

Will I need to gift, sell or even cull new fry at some point? :yikesu:

Ask a Question