Hi, from Portugal

Reaction score
Funny, I've never heard them called mugbugs before.
John

"Mudbugs" is more of a southern US reference. I always called them crawdads. Others call them crayfish.

These are all acceptable names to me. But, "MudBug" sounds a little more descriptive and fun, maybe not as appetizing. Have you ever ate them? They are a delicacy. Just like eating shrimp. Or a "mini" lobster. Very tasty! If I wanted to sell them for eating, I would call them freshwater lobsters.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
now thats one thing I like and don't mind breaking that tail at least when it gets bigger, anyone have butter .Don't eat meat but now some seafood I love .

Reaction score
H. Parreiras,

If you get into raising these crustaceans, you could make a LOT of money. It could be a very lucrative venture for you.

You can farm raise them like catfish and talapia if you have the resources to get it started. Maybe you will start out with a small pond just for fun and entertainment, but you might just develop a whole business out of it. You stated that you were 21 YO, you have a lot of time to think about this and make it work if you have a mind to. Hey, try it if you have a mind to.

I think that it would be "cool".

Gordy

Reaction score
Hi Gordy,

Miminnow species are realy beautiful, My fish pond has mainly native species but I'm trying to put "Exotic Species" like water snails, and some kind of south American and asiatic fish Species that could survive in portuguese Winter.

My region is hot and dry in Summer (never rains), and moderatly cold on winter (around 7-10 degrees Celcius (50 F), summarizing we have an mediterranean climate with four seasons very differents.

About Crayfish, I really love them, I have red and quite tradicional lineage. the blue one is very very beatiful however you need very specifics features like soil and another one to create blue, marrom etc. crayfish but I'm studying a way to create them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
SO...your probably the only KNIGHT OF TEMPLAR on this site...so heres a special welcome!............................lol
good to have you with us.

Reaction score
SO...your probably the only KNIGHT OF TEMPLAR on this site...so heres a special welcome!............................lol
good to have you with us.
Lol, this cross was used in portuguese caravels/ships on Age of Discovery... thus is an icon of "Portuguese Pride" :p

Thanks for the welcome, is an pleasure sharing knowledge about fish ponds with you

Reaction score
I will post a little portfolio of my fish pond, unfortunately I have no pictures of fish and of the wheel working, but i'm working on a movie

97336637.jpg

73206993.jpg

62614442.jpg

84592008.jpg

11373128.jpg

99204767.jpg

48550208.jpg

49777722.jpg

dsc03482nj.jpg

dsc03495m.jpg

dsc03498s.jpg

dsc03497r.jpg

dsc03487iq.jpg

dsc03494oi.jpg

dsc03483n.jpg

dsc03496e.jpg

dsc03489h.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice place you have there and nice large sized pond. Love your brick work! That stone housing and water wheel are cool! I'm quite fond of dragonflies and guess they are all over the world.............maybe not Siberia tho!
Is that an orange tree I see in the background?

Reaction score
Very nice place you have there and nice large sized pond. Love your brick work! That stone housing and water wheel are cool! I'm quite fond of dragonflies and guess they are all over the world.............maybe not Siberia tho!
Is that an orange tree I see in the background?
yes, is an little orange tree

Reaction score
Hi Gordy, Miminnow species are realy beautiful, My fish pond has mainly native species but I'm trying to put "Exotic Species" like water snails, and some kind of south American and asiatic fish Species that could survive in portuguese Winter. My region is hot and dry in Summer (never rains), and moderatly cold on winter (around 7-10 degrees Celcius (50 F), summarizing we have an mediterranean climate with four seasons very differents. About Crayfish, I really love them, I have red and quite tradicional lineage. the blue one is very very beatiful however you need very specifics features like soil and another one to create blue, marrom etc. crayfish but I'm studying a way to create them.

Hello again H Parreiras, Happy New Year to you!

Yes, minnows can be very colorful and beautiful. Just look at Koi, goldfish and the red shiners that I posted the picture of. Even common carp can be nice to view. They are all in the same Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order and Family. I have always enjoyed fishes, reptiles and all of nature because I grew up as a "river-rat".

Just in case that term (river rat) is unfamiliar to you, it is simply an endearing term for someone who spends a lot of time outdoors and on the river. Someone who would rather swim and fish and boat in the murky, dirty water of the river than go swimming in the local or a private pool with clean water and would rather drink beer from a can or a cup than champagne from a crystal glass. Hillbilly and Redneck are similar terms, but often not used with a positive connotation.

Your local weather sounds suitable to me. I would very much enjoy it if our winters never got much colder than 10°C, but I can imagine that you have to select your fish and plants to stock your pond appropriately to match your climate. I would enjoy being able to work outdoors most all of the year on such projects and never worry about freezing.

Crayfish are unique, especially freshwater crayfish. I would like to raise the blue ones simply because of the novelty of their color. But, like you stated, it has a lot to do with their environment, as well as some genetic traits. I had been researching the blue crayfish recently, but I ran into a dead end regarding ordering any from a web site offering them as "pets". When I was very young, my Dad would take me out fishing and we would claw around in the mud and clay and sand along the river bank for fish bait, meaning crayfish. I remember finding these blue crayfish on occasion. They were rare and they were rather large compared to the other brown and grey colored crayfish. If I remember accurately, I thought they were 5-7 inches (12-18 cm) in length. I wish I could recall better, but I think that these "BLUE" ones were more often found in burrows in specific clay types. That definitely lends credence to what you and I both mentioned previously, that it has a lot to do with the water and soil chemistry that brings out their blue color. Some are naturally blue always, but they are not found around my area.

I really like your pond. Some of your pictures in the last couple of posts won't load for me, but there are enough of them that did and I like them. I can see some of the more detailed ones of your water wheel and that looks awesome. I think you need some more plants in the pond itself though. You need some shady corners and greenery. Not only for aesthetic appeal, but also for the fish habitat. But, you are probably working on such ventures.

Looks like you also have an ample source of rock... What you used for the borders and the structures appear to be quarry cut rock (the reddish and pinkish colored rectangular rocks). It looks very good, you spent some time on this pond, I can tell. The overall pond looks to be pretty large, how much water volume do you estimate it to be? How deep? That large volume is probably beneficial to maintain the water temp in your local climate. I imagine that the water gets quite warm in the summer months.

Well, I better close my comment now, I typed a lot.

But again... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I noticed in a couple of your pics your liner looks like it is white ,the parts sticking up that I see on the edge .I love those hinges on the door and the clay tile .Looks like you did a lot of work to get where you are now.Gosh love your white rocks and are they normal for Portugal .I really like your set up .You did all the cement work your self .

Ask a Question