Hi, from Portugal

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HParreiras, Dec 31, 2011.

1. HParreiras

HParreiras

Hi Gordy,

Miminnow species are realy beautiful, My fish pond has mainly native species but I'm trying to put "Exotic Species" like water snails, and some kind of south American and asiatic fish Species that could survive in portuguese Winter.

My region is hot and dry in Summer (never rains), and moderatly cold on winter (around 7-10 degrees Celcius (50 F), summarizing we have an mediterranean climate with four seasons very differents.

About Crayfish, I really love them, I have red and quite tradicional lineage. the blue one is very very beatiful however you need very specifics features like soil and another one to create blue, marrom etc. crayfish but I'm studying a way to create them.

HParreiras, Jan 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. HParreiras

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

SO...your probably the only KNIGHT OF TEMPLAR on this site...so heres a special welcome!............................lol
    good to have you with us.

koiguy1969, Jan 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. HParreiras

HParreiras

Lol, this cross was used in portuguese caravels/ships on Age of Discovery... thus is an icon of "Portuguese Pride" :p

Thanks for the welcome, is an pleasure sharing knowledge about fish ponds with you

HParreiras, Jan 1, 2012
  4. HParreiras

HParreiras

I will post a little portfolio of my fish pond, unfortunately I have no pictures of fish and of the wheel working, but i'm working on a movie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HParreiras, Jan 1, 2012
  5. HParreiras

HParreiras

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my little "greenhouse" with Passiflora Eudis
    [​IMG]

HParreiras, Jan 1, 2012
  6. HParreiras

j.w I Love my Goldies

Very nice place you have there and nice large sized pond. Love your brick work! That stone housing and water wheel are cool! I'm quite fond of dragonflies and guess they are all over the world.............maybe not Siberia tho!
    Is that an orange tree I see in the background?

j.w, Jan 1, 2012
  7. HParreiras

HParreiras

yes, is an little orange tree

HParreiras, Jan 1, 2012
  8. HParreiras

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Jan 1, 2012
  9. HParreiras

Catfishnut

Hello again H Parreiras, Happy New Year to you!

Yes, minnows can be very colorful and beautiful. Just look at Koi, goldfish and the red shiners that I posted the picture of. Even common carp can be nice to view. They are all in the same Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order and Family. I have always enjoyed fishes, reptiles and all of nature because I grew up as a "river-rat".

Just in case that term (river rat) is unfamiliar to you, it is simply an endearing term for someone who spends a lot of time outdoors and on the river. Someone who would rather swim and fish and boat in the murky, dirty water of the river than go swimming in the local or a private pool with clean water and would rather drink beer from a can or a cup than champagne from a crystal glass. Hillbilly and Redneck are similar terms, but often not used with a positive connotation.

Your local weather sounds suitable to me. I would very much enjoy it if our winters never got much colder than 10°C, but I can imagine that you have to select your fish and plants to stock your pond appropriately to match your climate. I would enjoy being able to work outdoors most all of the year on such projects and never worry about freezing.

Crayfish are unique, especially freshwater crayfish. I would like to raise the blue ones simply because of the novelty of their color. But, like you stated, it has a lot to do with their environment, as well as some genetic traits. I had been researching the blue crayfish recently, but I ran into a dead end regarding ordering any from a web site offering them as "pets". When I was very young, my Dad would take me out fishing and we would claw around in the mud and clay and sand along the river bank for fish bait, meaning crayfish. I remember finding these blue crayfish on occasion. They were rare and they were rather large compared to the other brown and grey colored crayfish. If I remember accurately, I thought they were 5-7 inches (12-18 cm) in length. I wish I could recall better, but I think that these "BLUE" ones were more often found in burrows in specific clay types. That definitely lends credence to what you and I both mentioned previously, that it has a lot to do with the water and soil chemistry that brings out their blue color. Some are naturally blue always, but they are not found around my area.

I really like your pond. Some of your pictures in the last couple of posts won't load for me, but there are enough of them that did and I like them. I can see some of the more detailed ones of your water wheel and that looks awesome. I think you need some more plants in the pond itself though. You need some shady corners and greenery. Not only for aesthetic appeal, but also for the fish habitat. But, you are probably working on such ventures.

Looks like you also have an ample source of rock... What you used for the borders and the structures appear to be quarry cut rock (the reddish and pinkish colored rectangular rocks). It looks very good, you spent some time on this pond, I can tell. The overall pond looks to be pretty large, how much water volume do you estimate it to be? How deep? That large volume is probably beneficial to maintain the water temp in your local climate. I imagine that the water gets quite warm in the summer months.

Well, I better close my comment now, I typed a lot.

But again... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Gordy

Catfishnut, Jan 1, 2012
  10. HParreiras

sissy sissy

I noticed in a couple of your pics your liner looks like it is white ,the parts sticking up that I see on the edge .I love those hinges on the door and the clay tile .Looks like you did a lot of work to get where you are now.Gosh love your white rocks and are they normal for Portugal .I really like your set up .You did all the cement work your self .

sissy, Jan 1, 2012
  11. HParreiras

HParreiras

Gardy:

You alright, I really need more plants and I'm working on it. My pond dimensions are: 5 meters*3m and 1.20m deep

Sissy:

Thanks for the compliments,

yes, my liner is white, I used two, first I used a black liner, and above him I put a white liner like used in awnings of cafes to hide the black one (Until now I had no problems with water leaks). The white rocks have a little problem, with the time they get darker.

HParreiras, Jan 2, 2012
  12. HParreiras

Catfishnut

H Parreirras,

I am looking forward to your future developments. All the pictures that you posted finally loaded. Must be that my internet connection is really slow. I am on a satellite system so I have a latency factor to consider right off and its not so fast overall. I don't mind it, though. It usually works acceptably for me.

Did you construct the water wheel from scratch? Looks like standard wood in your pictures (maybe a pine or other soft or coniferous wood of some sort), did you treat the wood with anything?

You may not want one in your pond as they are an aggressive, predatory fish, but the North American Gar are an interesting species Prehistoric. But, they would thrive in your climate. This is a species of fish that can actually survive out of the water and in poor oxygen content water because they can "gulp" air almost as if they had lungs. They are neat fish because they are prehistoric. Google the shortnose, longnose and alligator gar if you want to see them. They are awesome to look at, but I don't know if they would be good in a pond with other fish. They'd probably eat everything else up.

Gordy

Catfishnut, Jan 2, 2012
  13. HParreiras

HParreiras

Yes, I constructed the water wheel from scratch with help of my father who's carpenter. The wood is pine and it has a treatment to not rot.

I google those fish and i really like alligator gar, however catfish are very agressive.

1 question for you, what kind of reptiles do you have?

HParreiras, Jan 2, 2012
  14. HParreiras

Catfishnut

HP (I hope you don't mind if I shorten your handle to HP)

I have no reptiles at this time, but I have had the privilege of entertaining the following reptiles: Five and Six lined skinks, Blue tailed skinks, common snapping turtles, green iguanas, painted turtles, red slider turtles, prairie rattle snakes, , box tortoises, cottonmouth snakes, green anoles, true chamelions, garter snakes, fox snakes, corn snakes, bull snakes, and softshell turtles. I might remember more, but my absolute favorites were the Western Hognose snake and the Indigo Black Snake. Many others, but most all were local North American reptiles and caught in the wild. The only exotic species I bought was the Green Iguana. I named him Saint Ignatius. He was 10-12 inches long when I bought him from a pet store, he grew to 4 1/2 feet long before he passed away.

The American Western Hognose snake is one of the best reptiles that you could possibly have for a pet. They do not grow large, so no problem there. What is unique about these snakes is that they like people. Puppies like people. These snakes are affectionate in the same manner. I do not joke here, this little snake that I traded a buddy of mine a pet white rabbit for stayed with me for years and provided me with a great learning experience.

No joking here, I let this Hognose snake crawl around on the couch while I was watching TV and it didn't leave my company. It would explore the world, but would always come back to my midst. Maybe because it was smart and knew where the food was, but I think it actually grew attached to me personally. This little snake would slither around my neck, crawl down my shirt and into my pocket or just point his little face straight at me. Maybe I just have a way with animals, but this little snake was my friend for many years.

Gordy

Catfishnut, Jan 2, 2012
  15. HParreiras

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! That is one neat pond you have there and love that water wheel!

addy1, Jan 2, 2012
  16. HParreiras

HParreiras

Wow, I googled all of those reptiles, and you had an huge and beautiful collection. I only had two reptiles, 1 Mauremys Leprosa (native here in Portugal):

[​IMG]

and traditional aquatic turtles

[​IMG]

HParreiras, Jan 2, 2012
  17. HParreiras

HParreiras

thanks a lot

HParreiras, Jan 2, 2012
  18. HParreiras

sissy sissy

The second one looks like turtles we have here

sissy, Jan 2, 2012
  19. HParreiras

taherrmann4 Tmann

Welcome to the forum, that is a really neat water wheel you have there. Really like how it looks like it has been there for a long time, and the details on the door to the water wheel house look like it is hundreds of years old. Nice job.

taherrmann4, Jan 2, 2012
  20. HParreiras

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh love your turtles HP!

j.w, Jan 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question