Hi, from Portugal

Reaction score
Gardy:

You alright, I really need more plants and I'm working on it. My pond dimensions are: 5 meters*3m and 1.20m deep

Sissy:

Thanks for the compliments,

yes, my liner is white, I used two, first I used a black liner, and above him I put a white liner like used in awnings of cafes to hide the black one (Until now I had no problems with water leaks). The white rocks have a little problem, with the time they get darker.

Reaction score
H Parreirras,

I am looking forward to your future developments. All the pictures that you posted finally loaded. Must be that my internet connection is really slow. I am on a satellite system so I have a latency factor to consider right off and its not so fast overall. I don't mind it, though. It usually works acceptably for me.

Did you construct the water wheel from scratch? Looks like standard wood in your pictures (maybe a pine or other soft or coniferous wood of some sort), did you treat the wood with anything?

You may not want one in your pond as they are an aggressive, predatory fish, but the North American Gar are an interesting species Prehistoric. But, they would thrive in your climate. This is a species of fish that can actually survive out of the water and in poor oxygen content water because they can "gulp" air almost as if they had lungs. They are neat fish because they are prehistoric. Google the shortnose, longnose and alligator gar if you want to see them. They are awesome to look at, but I don't know if they would be good in a pond with other fish. They'd probably eat everything else up.

Gordy

Reaction score
Yes, I constructed the water wheel from scratch with help of my father who's carpenter. The wood is pine and it has a treatment to not rot.

I google those fish and i really like alligator gar, however catfish are very agressive.

1 question for you, what kind of reptiles do you have?

Reaction score
Yes, I constructed the water wheel from scratch with help of my father who's carpenter. The wood is pine and it has a treatment to not rot. I google those fish and i really like alligator gar, however catfish are very agressive. 1 question for you, what kind of reptiles do you have?

HP (I hope you don't mind if I shorten your handle to HP)

I have no reptiles at this time, but I have had the privilege of entertaining the following reptiles: Five and Six lined skinks, Blue tailed skinks, common snapping turtles, green iguanas, painted turtles, red slider turtles, prairie rattle snakes, , box tortoises, cottonmouth snakes, green anoles, true chamelions, garter snakes, fox snakes, corn snakes, bull snakes, and softshell turtles. I might remember more, but my absolute favorites were the Western Hognose snake and the Indigo Black Snake. Many others, but most all were local North American reptiles and caught in the wild. The only exotic species I bought was the Green Iguana. I named him Saint Ignatius. He was 10-12 inches long when I bought him from a pet store, he grew to 4 1/2 feet long before he passed away.

The American Western Hognose snake is one of the best reptiles that you could possibly have for a pet. They do not grow large, so no problem there. What is unique about these snakes is that they like people. Puppies like people. These snakes are affectionate in the same manner. I do not joke here, this little snake that I traded a buddy of mine a pet white rabbit for stayed with me for years and provided me with a great learning experience.

No joking here, I let this Hognose snake crawl around on the couch while I was watching TV and it didn't leave my company. It would explore the world, but would always come back to my midst. Maybe because it was smart and knew where the food was, but I think it actually grew attached to me personally. This little snake would slither around my neck, crawl down my shirt and into my pocket or just point his little face straight at me. Maybe I just have a way with animals, but this little snake was my friend for many years.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! That is one neat pond you have there and love that water wheel!

Reaction score
Wow, I googled all of those reptiles, and you had an huge and beautiful collection. I only had two reptiles, 1 Mauremys Leprosa (native here in Portugal):

Mauremys_3.jpg

and traditional aquatic turtles

red-eared-slider.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, that is a really neat water wheel you have there. Really like how it looks like it has been there for a long time, and the details on the door to the water wheel house look like it is hundreds of years old. Nice job.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The second one looks like turtles we have here
It should; it's a red-eared slider, the most common turtle in the pet trade, and now banned in a number of countries because too many ignorant owners have "set them free" when they got too large.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those were the turtle's we got as kids from fairs and carnivals and they used to paint their little backs. Poor babies. I bet that wasn't very good for them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The average lifespan of those little turtles was somewhere around ten days! Most went to kids who knew nothing about them, and many were kept in dry conditions, so they couldn't eat. (They need water to swallow their food, since they don't produce saliva.) A horrible fate for the little buggers!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the turtle comes up to my property from the creek seems he likes to eat some of the plants in my front garden .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums! I love your waterwheel, it looks fantastic.

Where in Portugal are you? My Dad lives in Carvoeiro in the Algarve - it's a beautiful part of the world :)

Ask a Question