High PH...guess I'll leave it alone!?

Deepfork

Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I Just found this site today. I had many questions about my new, and first garden pond. I think I found most of what I was looking for reading previous threads.

My biggest concern was what I considered very high PH. It's always in the 8.6 to 8.7 range, which matches the reading I get from the well used to fill my pond. I get conflicting opinions reading what different "experts" on the web have to say about when you should and should not attempt to treat your water for high PH.

Am I right in concluding that level is not dangerous as long as it remains stable? Fish, tadpoles, snails and plants all seem to be doing well.

I have definitely decided not to use chemicals to lower the PH. I bought some peat pellets to put in the system to try to slowly lower the PH, but as I said above I believe now it would be best to leave it alone.

Anyone disagree or have other advise?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you'll find that over time, and IF you don't do any water changes (most here don't and don't see the need), that as the plants grow in and some decay happens, the pH will lower naturally. But as you've already found out, stable is a lot better than trying to lower/raise the pH. Especially as the inhabitants are doing well. Now, if you get new fish, you'll have to VERY slowly acclimate them to the new/higher pH (if there IS a difference).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're on the right track! Our pond hovered under 9 for the first year, and then suddenly leveled off... and we didn't do a darn thing to make it happen!

Ask a Question