addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A water change might help, does your ph swing, change often. I had to add crushed oyster shells to keep mine stable, we have a acidic well, ph always too low. With the shells it has not changed at all recently.

You might want to wait a little and measure it again. It can change with time of day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those oyster shells are great I have not had such great readings than now .I usually swing up and down in the spring but it has been pretty stable

Reaction score
well this is my first spring with pond, have not had any problem with ph all last summer, have noticed a lot more algea due to the trees not in bloom yet to shade pond , could that algea due to the extra sun be causing ph spike? will do a partial water change tho.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could that algae be pollin from tree's instead of algae .My porch and trucks are covered in green pollin and I use quilt batting this time of year to catch it

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Watch out for ammonia, at a high pH it can be particularly harmful to fish. I'd keep some ammonia binder on hand, or a large bag of zeolite to place at the outflow of your filter if you detect any ammonia at all. How is your carbonate hardness (kH) reading? This buffers your pH so it can't swing so readily.

Although usually used to increase pH, you can add baking soda slowly and steadily. You can't really overdo it, it will stabilize your pH at about 8.0 to 8.1, which can be easil;y tolerated by koi and goldfish. Good luck.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So could one put oyster shells in the water even if there is no problem w/ water chemistry?
Reason being to keep it in check so nothing goes whacky :alieneyesa:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
definately.....an ounce of prevention is worth more like 10 pounds of cure!!... but add the crushed oyster shells when the ph is where you want it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i could not keep our ph stable until I put the oyster shells in, but our rain is on the acidic side and our well water is in the 5 range.

Now every time I test it , everything is perfect.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
talal101 said:
Sissy, do you leave the batting in all year and how often do you clean it?

I think she just uses as needed. When we turned on the bog for the first time a lot of real fine silt came out. We went and got the quilt batting stuck it under the waterfall (thank you jw and sissy) now our pond water has less ppm of stuff in it then our well water does. i.e. cleaned it right up. I would just hose it off when it started looking yucky i.e. brown and stick it right back in

So now the batting is pulled out, done until something else happens...........cost 7 dollars.

Ask a Question