addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put around 25 lbs in my pond jw, since then no ph problems, even with our low ph rain and very low ph well water. I put them under the waterfall from the bog, they do best, like they say above with some water movement.

when they poof away i.e. the net bag is empty i will just fill it again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I tested the ph of our well water and it says 7.0 and then I tested the rain water at 7.5 and the pond water says 6.4 so what makes it go low? Fish poo and crud? Gosh it's been raining so much here I would think it would be higher in the pond :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
I tested the ph of our well water and it says 7.0 and then I tested the rain water at 7.5 and the pond water says 6.4 so what makes it go low? Fish poo and crud? Gosh it's been raining so much here I would think it would be higher in the pond :confused:

and my well is 5, rain 6 or so, pond sitting in 7 range, those oyster shells working!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok so after reading that I should check the pond water again later on and then I will prolly just have to change some of the water w/ well water and get it to around 7 and then put in the shells cuz my water is not too far off from being good. That's the way I understand it anyways :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just put in the shells, didn't think I had fish at the time, my ph was swinging constantly.

Now every time i test it, it is the same. didn't worry about starting ph and ending ph. Just what is it now and what is it staying at.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
But addy did you get your pond to 7 before you put the shells in or are you saying the shells actually made your pond go up to 7?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put baking soda in to buffer up the well water, the ph was low when I put the shells in around 6ish. and with the bs it would go up then down. Since then sitting in the 7 range has not changed since i added the shells.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very good and can't wait til the weather is decent to get started. I think I will just do some water changes to see if that will get it to 7 seeing our well water is 7.5 :confused:

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I think she just uses as needed. When we turned on the bog for the first time a lot of real fine silt came out. We went and got the quilt batting stuck it under the waterfall (thank you jw and sissy) now our pond water has less ppm of stuff in it then our well water does. i.e. cleaned it right up. I would just hose it off when it started looking yucky i.e. brown and stick it right back in

So now the batting is pulled out, done until something else happens...........cost 7 dollars.

thank you addy, i will go buy a bag sometime in the next couple weeks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, Addy and J.W. thanks for the laughs tonight! I need that with this awful weather going on outside. And, Koiguy, sorry but I was in stitches reading about "your" used nylons and how your cut off the feet, etc. :) Yep, this site sure teaches a person tons! I have more notes on my "Pond Information" sheet, thanks to all of you. On to the next issue ...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and glad we could entertain people tonight now where is our paycheck for it lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have all struggled as beginning ponders, still sometimes struggle as old time ponders! The forum is a great place to ask for help and offer help, advice, ideas, thoughts etc.

Reaction score
mailman62 said:
did a ph test this morningand found that it is very high ,around 9, what can i do to make this right ,water change?

my ph is normaly around 8.8 and has been that way for going on 8 yrs....if it is steady there DON"T mess with it. The fish will do fine in it....I have koi and goldfish as old as my pond and they all do just fine. The only problem with higher PH is maybe you will have issues growing some plants. Test your KH and GH if they are nice and high then this will stabalize you ph. If you have a lower KH/GH then you may end up with swings in your ph then yes keep the baking soda handy or check out the oyster shells as many say. If you have lots of heavy rains also check as the ph of rain is like 5.7...although I tested mine once and it was over 6.....anyway lots of rain at this ph can cause ph swings if your KH/GH are low.

Ask a Question