addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Down here in the "warm" south, well mid atlantic area, we don't freeze up like that. My pond camera is only a foot under water, it never showed a solid coating of ice, you could look up at the ice layer. I could watch fish swim by it while we were gone. Right now the lens is totally mucked up too cold to stick my tender hands and arms in to clean it......lol

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well it is good that you don't have such as deep freeze, I seen a few times that your weather was pretty cold, but then I forget how your daytime temperatures are much warmer in winter generally speaking, than mine. I just keep hearing that people on the East coast had a rough winter, but forget a rough winter for you is a mild winter for me! It was a wicked winter for me this year, as I did have a good foot of ice ion my bottom pond there for a while, while enduring seemingly endless cold nights with high wind chills.

Addy I read back a little and I see that he had lots of fish, like 150 koi or something, plus a goldfish pond too. 150 koi is a lot of koi for one pond, even if it may be big. I see also that he lost both koi and goldfish in very large numbers. I would recommend to him to run a good pre filter and a pump, and use my "flowing filtered water method" instead of the bubbler, or aerator. 150 koi can add a very large stress factor to any pond, and it sounds like what worked for five years before, failed this year. I think people fail to realize that the fish are much bigger after five years, plus added babies, and the pond is not getting any larger! I have about 20 koi or so in total, and I calculate that I have about 3,500 imperial gallons of water, and a few gold fish, and I think I have too many koi! Koi are carp really, and they eat a ton and poo a ton, when compared to goldfish, and not to mention that they grow very fast and swim twice as fast as a goldfish, and their mouths are hungry non stop. I think that Koi need good clean filtered water all winter long, not stale water that is just basically pushed around by a bubbler or aerator. Maybe for some people down south it works when the winter is very short, and they only have a few fish, but this winter seemed extra cold and brutal. I would also suggest maybe a heater on standby, just for the odd extremely cold night, like run an extension cord if you have too. that is what I would do.
I also think the running water method is better way to winter any pond, that way come spring, spring cleanup is just a light breeze as my big pre-pump filters do a good job all winter long.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy I read back a little and I see that he had lots of fish, like 150 koi or something, plus a goldfish pond too. 150 koi is a lot of koi for one pond, even if it may be big. .

NO koi none at all, I hope I did not type koi, don't think I did. It was just shubunkins and goldfish. From an inch to biggest a foot or a little less. Most of his fish were in the 5-8 inch range.

Is it mentioned what the air pump output was, pumping colder than freezing air under the ice. That flow of moving water I would expect to push ice crystals into the water, a current of below freezing temperature water that disturbed and cooled the stratified deeper water...

The pump can push 3.6 CFM linear air flow
There was a time when he had a ridge of ice around the hole where the air was flowing up, the water was bubbling up and hitting the ice then falling back into the pond. That would have made the water cooler in my mind. This only occurred during mid to end of february. So with all the info provided I am leaning towards a super chill of the pond water.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
OK, just re-read the whole thread, maybe I need to breakdown and get myself eye glasses, cause I am not sure where I got the 150 koi from, old age must be setting in for me!

I see that prior to the fish dying off, there was a "algae bloom", and that would indicate to me that the water temperture was getting warm and an excess of amount of nutrients must have been present to have a "rare winter algae bloom".
Then came the sudden cold that I must have saw on your temps a while back, a few nights I saw that your night time temps were very low, like minius 20 Celsius, which is very cold for your region. I don't think your ground froze hard by the sound of it, and with a deep pond like that, the earth down deep will keep the pond warm, unlike here, where my water remains ice cold as my ground is still froze hard down deep. So the warmer water, and excess nutrients created a "rare spring algae bloom", and gases most likely came with the algae bloom, then came your extreme cold and the surface of the water may have froze over, and/or the hole in the ice was not sufficent enough to let all the gases escape. I myself have never seen a algae bloom in the "dead" of winter, in an ice cold freezing pond up here, cause our water would not get that warm with the ground frozen rock hard for miles and miles.... Here up north, even though we have had some warmer temps now, the ground is still very frozen solid, and so my water is still extremely cold, so things in pond that may be dead are not rotting yet as the water is still too cold. that is why fish can survive in our ponds that freeze over much harder, and not have a rotting mess or a strange algae bloom in the middle of the winter, and then too the extreme cold water causes the fish to breathe much less as well, using much less oxygen.

Then there is the stinking rotten issue of SNAIL's! Trapdoor snails and large snails do die off sometimes. When a big snail dies, they hide down deep, under things, and I made the mistake years ago of having large Apple snails for a few years, plus I did also have trapdoor snails too. I can tell you that if I missed getting any of those big snails out of the pond before the water got ice cold, they would die and in the early spring when the water temps started to get warm, I would find their dead bodies inside the shell, all gooey and gross, and the rotten smell was enough to make one gag instantly! I since gave up on large snails, and I tried the trap door snails and found they rarely survive the extreme cold here and won't risk having them die off down deep and create a stinking rotten foul cloud of gas. Now trap door snails normally would probably do well in your climate, but this winter was a record cold breaker for many people this year, and I must admit I was very surprised to see that you had such extreme cold this year for your region. I think the extra cold that you had early in the winter, could have killed of a few big snails.

The extra deep pond can be a big issue itself, as such a deep pond can hide lots of waste and rotting decaying life, and most nets do not reach down that deep and then you probably do not have a real good view of what is down deep hiding too, So I can only conclude that the warmer earth kept the water warmer, which led a "rare spring algae bloom", and the deep pond hid much waste. Then came the extreme cold and that iced off much of the pond, combined with the heavy snow fall, and the pond was "smothered in gas".

Reaction score
I've had the same problem. The snow is starting to melt over the pond in our yard. Found one of my fish floating. I don't know if the others are okay or not. This breaks my heart because I only have 4. I'm not sure what happened. I'm going to test the water. But we had several days of sub-zero temperatures this winter here in Michigan. I have my aerator running all winter but I have no pOnd heater. The water might have just gotten too cold. And not enough oxygen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Addy, yes I am using Pond Breathers, 2 of them.
I don't think I've come across anyone else here that has them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, yes I am using Pond Breathers, 2 of them.
I don't think I've come across anyone else here that has them.

Let me know how your fish make out, of course you are way colder than we are and tons more snow. Tom is very interested in getting some.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol we are 11 months away from needing it................usually no need until December if then.

Ask a Question