Honeylocust roots. Pond dream killed? Raised pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is it .My soil is clay .I put roofing felt down first to protect every thing .Roofing felt is cheap and put it under the other liner it was still in great shape .I forgot to get pics of the underlayment because it was so windy it was hard to get pics and get liner in .I got the underlayment free from my new friend in NJ .He mentioned he could send me some free to help out .He happens to build ponds .I used retaining wall block for my outside wall and the dirt from the hole built that side up .

Attachments

• new pond 020.JPG
    new pond 020.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 291
  • new pond 026.JPG
    new pond 026.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 275
  • pond march 12 2014 004.JPG
    pond march 12 2014 004.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 296

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The roofing felt is much easier to control and heavy .I never put the underlayment under before ,just roofing felt .It comes in different weights .I used 15 lb for the sides and 30 lb for the bottom .I had it still left over from the guest house build years ago .Shed that turned little guest house 14x 24 ft .You can use retaing wall block but would have to use the larger size .i like sitting on the wall to look in the pond and from the covered front porch ,GREAT VIEW

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Much easier and less of a headache to do I wish i had a pic of a home here on the garden tour that had a retaining wall pond and it was 30 ft long by 15 feet wide .Will have to see if they are on the tour .They have not been on it for 2 years now .

Attachments

• splendors gate july 2013 023.JPG
    splendors gate july 2013 023.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 309

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The reason i mentioned retaining wall block is because if you have a problem with the roots in years to come you can take it apart and move it .With nepens pond she did a great job for a first timer but you have tree roots to contend with .They never stop growing .That presents a whole new set of problems .They could lift the concrete and crack it .Roots also need air .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm sure Sissy's pond is easier than mine, especially when you want to make change to the structure. Just have to check if it'll be ok for a 100% above ground. How much water pressure it can hold etc etc etc. I'd do like Sissy's pond for half above half below.

I put sand in to smooth out the ground, did not use concrete (I mean at the bottom of the pond)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Go to your local flooring supplier, ask them for old carpet (their installers bring back old carpet all the time). Cut the carpet to size, line the hole with that. It's thick, lasts forever and it's free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks for the input, folks. I'm also considering using wood. You've really been helpful and I appreciate it! It seems like every time I come up with a pond plan, something interferes (mainly tree roots). And the more I think about it, the more I think a raised pond would be safer for the kids.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's why mine was OK with the home owners insurance company .They came around last year to inspect the property .Never had an insurance company do that before but guess these days they have to be careful .It is Brothern Insurance out of Maryland .I like how when I am working in the yard I can sit down on the wall to rest and see the fish .Plus when company comes over they go down and sit on the wall and it is great for all my nieces and nephews .My neighbor has 1 of her walls made out of 6x6.s ,but landscape timbers they sell at home depot can rot fast .I make baskets out of them and put sacrificial feet on the bottom so they do not rot the baskets .1 I made as a house warming gift .I have 6 of them on my property all different sizes

Attachments

• new basket 6 14 2013 005.JPG
    new basket 6 14 2013 005.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 195
  • new work landscape timbers 001.JPG
    new work landscape timbers 001.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 244
  • basket I built in 2 hours 003.JPG
    basket I built in 2 hours 003.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 214

Ask a Question