hope for the best

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Try flushing the area where this is. You might also use a salt bath afterward. I have a page on my website that will take you to the University of Florida where they have all the procedures for using salt as a treatment.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the line that looked like raised scales,wasnt i neeted the fish to treat him, ran my finger over the area, an opague white slimey gel came off on my finger, any thoughts on this the fish is as good as new.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Keep an eye on it and if it gets worse think about the salt bath. It won't hurt a healthy Koi so you have nothing to lose by trying it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that was my intent when i netted him, but the scales are lying flat and the slime wiped off and hasnt returned as of yet.. you know i'll keep watch... but he seems perfectly normal, i tend to think it was a secretion from the fish to rid it of the grit or whatever under the scales, if indeed there was something there. i do keep my indoor pond salted anyway, just because it encourages a healthy slime coat.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A salt bath is not the same as salting your pond. A salt bath is much more concentrated and can only be used for a maximum of 10 minutes or less if the fish shows obvious distress.

It sounds like your fish is going to be OK.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh yeah i kinow this, like i said that was my intention, i netted him,went to take a closer look, ran my finger over the area and the goop wiped off. and the scales were laying flat(already i think, i felt no bump.) if i found it to be a parasite i would of done a rub then a bath. oh by the way, as i said in good deal at petsmart thread i bought kordons rid ich and rid fungus for $1.75 for16 oz bottles clearence last week

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well ..he jumped again and this time i didnt find him in time... as often as this fish jumped, youd of thought i would have netted the pond. the nets on a shelf 5' from the pond and i just kept putting it off . so at 16&1/4" my second platinum is gone,i lost the other to a heron.. i have seen my platinum jump so many times, i cant believe i let this happen...shame on me!!

Reaction score
oh right! duh! I forgot about your tropical vacation pond in the basement! Yesssss!

Well, sheesh, the poor thing! If he's always been a jumper, I guess you could say it was likely meant to be at some point that he'd be flying outta there. I'm sure when he hit the ground he musta been thinking: "oh s$#t! All this time trying to see what was out there and it wasn't worth the jump!"

Ask a Question