Hoping for help with an unloved pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,I have inheritated an unloved pond,it was very murky but the few fish seem happy enough...Now the job is on to sort it out,cleaned all the water out(yes fish are safe in some of their own water)cleaned all the debris from the bottom,but green muck on liner remains very obstinateThere is a pump and filter in with although does not work,so can any of you fab guys advise me...I live alone not got a clue,so can I make this pond more agreeable for the few fish without a filter or pump....Any advice will help this comp!etly baffled novice..Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Sandra r!
That green muck on your liner is a very important filter for your pond. It's called periphyton.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/periphyton-part-1.9/
Don't let it dry out.

Can you post any pictures or describe your pond? Size, what equipment you have?
You should buy a water test kit, like the one API sells: https://www.amazon.co.uk/API-Freshw...492278274&sr=8-1&keywords=api+master+test+kit
Your local pond retailer should carry it. Test the water and let us know the results.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Sandra r!
That green muck on your liner is a very important filter for your pond. It's called periphyton.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/periphyton-part-1.9/
Don't let it dry out.

Can you post any pictures or describe your pond? Size, what equipment you have?
You should buy a water test kit, like the one API sells: https://www.amazon.co.uk/API-Freshw...492278274&sr=8-1&keywords=api+master+test+kit
Your local pond retailer should carry it. Test the water and let us know the results.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought laguna pumps because they are energy efficient and mine came with a 4 year warranty .How big is the pond and how deep is the pond and how many fish did you take out and do you know what kind of fish .What kind of filter do you want home made or bought and what is your budget and what do you know about how electric is brought to the pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Mitch for your swift reply,the size is approx 2.352 cubic metres...Daughter thinks equipment is past its sell by date..just my luck...Will order a test immediately.. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought laguna pumps because they are energy efficient and mine came with a 4 year warranty .How big is the pond and how deep is the pond and how many fish did you take out and do you know what kind of fish .What kind of filter do you want home made or bought and what is your budget and what do you know about how electric is brought to the pond
Hi Sissy,13 fish came out,although there was more but a few were lost over Winter,there was Koi in there,but not now..
I have not got a clue about this,and want to keep it all as natural as possible,simply because I don't know anything...The electrics run from the pond and into my garden shed,and honestly if I could keep this maintained without electric ..I would...
Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not going to happen sorry ,unless you want a smelly mosquito infested swamp .I have seen to many of those over the years and took a few out for realtors selling the houses here .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Not going to happen sorry ,unless you want a smelly mosquito infested swamp .I have seen to many of those over the years and took a few out for realtors selling the houses here .
Remember though, I had that 40 gallon substrate aquarium with plants, no circulation and a few fish that did well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be all your cool weather for longer times than I have .Here it would be a mess since we an still be in the 70's in December and only really get winter in Jan. and Feb .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you both for your replies....like I said I have not got a clue but will get the water tested and have seen a pump and filter all in one so hopefully that will suffice.The easiest thing would be to fill it in but No I won't,love the sound of water....Some of the ponds on here are amazing,well done you clever people...
Sissy 70 degrees!!!what is that?
Temperatures of our dreams
Once again Thanks x

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sandra, best of you can give some more info as asked above, dimensions of pond are best as volumes don't tell us depth for e.g. That could be a larger pond of only twelve inches depth or a small deep one if you think about it! So it's already been drained, so the attached algae will long be dead, that's a shame.
What's the pump/filter combo you are interested in, what are its given ratings, power/pumping volume etc? How big are the fish? Need their approx size...not including tails, they may be two inchers or twelve inchers which could be way too many for the pond and filter you are thinking of. Lots more info needed before specific advise can be offered :) Where is the pond located, sun wise? Can you give us some pics, the more the merrier!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Post some pictures when you can.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

You've come to the right place! This is a friendly and knowledgeable group of ponders that really are sincere in helping others. I have learned so much and so will you. The more info and pics you can provide, the better these folks will be able to help and guide you. Welcome!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome. I agree with Sissy that you'll need a pump but the cost of running a good one is negligible and once you get used to the sound of running water, you won't want to live without it.
A lot of us have been there, inheriting a neglected pond so we will help as much as we can.

Ask a Question