Ponding Newbie Hoping to Learn

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and ponding but I have offered to help my mum sort out her pond. My mum and her ex partner were in the garden as often as possible and it is lovely, plenty of plants, flowers, vegetables and a pond. The pond was always my mums ex partners job and since he has left has started to become very green and murkey so she has asked me to try and sort it out a bit. I have no knowledge of ponds at the minute but am hoping to learn a bit on this forum, and have questions that hopefully you lovely people will be able to answer.

We are based in Yorkshire, UK and I would say the pond is a medium size with no fish but plenty of wildlife. Every year it fills with frogspawn, tadpoles, newts and frogs. This is the pond I am hoping to help out with, does it look overly green to you guys?

pond.JPG

I will ask my questions in the appropriate forums though, this is just a hello, so hello people :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and glad you joined and by your pic sure looks like a nice pond and guessing like most have the green water problem also

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! What a nice thing you are doing for your mom! Maybe you can get her interested in "getting her hands wet & dirty!"

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Hi and welcome! It does look a bit thick. Is there any water circulation?
There was circulation but it wasn't working properly. I think he had tried to filter the pond water into a kind of overflow bucket and then pump the water out of there not to harm the wildlife but I don't think this was working very well. I then tried putting the pump in the pond itself but this was sucking in newts, snails and tadpoles which we really don't want! I am going to make a topic in the proper section with photos and hopefully you guys will help me solve the problem!

Ask a Question