addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found an excellent source of hornwort if anybody is looking for some.

email................ John Patakos

if you want any

A nice big box shipped second day. This is a tub about 2 feet x 1.5 feet in size.

DSC06300.JPG

DSC06301.JPG

The clumped pile I just dumped out of the box.

DSC06302.JPG

It is going into my big pond, indoor fish tank, stream ponds, start a hornwort population

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That stuff is great and you know I got some too and it is a big huge amount he sends. Thanks so much addy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Addy I have been wanting to add some to my pond. Is he a member of this forum or do I just send him a personal email?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He is a mod at a fish tank forum, I just sent him a email to set up shipping and payment.
The box was stuffed full, best deal I found to get some. Clean, good looking plants.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Stuff apparently works day and night to remove ammonia and ammonium from the water before it turns into nitrite/nitrates... Maybe that's why my pond never got algae bloom as this was one of the first thing I put in it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
slakker said:
Stuff apparently works day and night to remove ammonia and ammonium from the water before it turns into nitrite/nitrates... Maybe that's why my pond never got algae bloom as this was one of the first thing I put in it.
I have not had any, never could find it at a reasonable price. Will be interesting to see what it does for my small ponds, that do get algae. (low flow, warm, non filtered water) no green water, but they do get some string.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've been reading on the net and several places say Hornwort is good for keeping algae at bay:

Hornwort
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) is native to Australia and is another freshwater plant often used in aquariums because it produces oxygen when exposed to light. It can grow floating freely in water. When exposed to mud or gravel it produces modified leaves rather than roots that anchor it to the bottom. Hornwort has the ability to control algae in aquariums or waterways because it releases a chemical that prevents algae from growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Will hornsworth overwinter in my zone 5 pond? Hate to buy some this late in the season just to have it die off this winter. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Colleen has it in her pond in canada. I have read zone 3 and zone 4 as the low zone

I put some in my deck pond, the deck pond fights string algae since it is only running twice a day, (the stream and deck pond are on a timer) It will be interesting to see if the string goes away because of the hornwort, it does look great in the pond, floating around.

per the net:

Hornwort, also known as Coontail, has sturdy, layered hair-like foliage that helps oxygenate and clarify the water as well as keep algae growth to a minimum. It is found free-floating worldwide, in moving and still waters, or loosely anchored in muddy bottoms.
The tips will shorten and thicken in fall, before falling off and settling on the pond floor to spend the winter as buds. In spring, these buds grow to repopulate the pond.
Hornwort leaves are dark green and grow from a 1/2 to 1-1/2 inches long on stems that can reach 24 inches in length. They may be potted or just left to float in the pond. Zones 4-11.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm in zone 8 so no problems for me, but the fellow that introduced this to me indicated that it will overwinter under ice and still work as it doesn't require photosynthesis when it's absorbing certain chemicals. Been trying to look for references to that and it seems like that's true. Also found some articles about it being used to manage industrial run-off and waste systems, seems like a "magic sponge" of water plants.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has a real neat smell to it, clean smell. I got it put into my ponds today, the shubunkins ignored it so far. I did not get any into the big pond, for the pigs. It did some growing while sitting on the porch in the tub, real healthy stuff.

Still have some left for the indoor tank, just have not gotten it in yet.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fishylove said:
Addy how much did it end up costing to ship it?

it was a stuffed priority box, shipping included. $25 bucks. I did not count the strands, but it was a bunch. The strands around 3 foot long. The stuff left in the tub (for the inside tank has around 15 strands if not more. I had enough for 5 different ponds, two fist fulls each. I am tickled with it.

It filled 1/2 of the tub, that is approx 20 gallons in size.

Ask a Question