How are all our members snowed in in the US Coping ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Those snowfall amounts are downright dangerous.
Our thoughts are for their best efforts in getting through it safely.
The most I've been in, in 1 day is 3 feet.
Are you clear of snow then Mitch?, here in the UK we are getting periodic torrential down pours, with no signs of the supposed blizzards we were set to get in November.

Dave

Reaction score
Keep in mind a foot of snow is not equal to a foot of water. It's usually around 10% of that if I recall correctly. The weather people tried to create doom and gloom in Michigan this past Spring saying our melting snow could cause flooding etc and I just laughed at people freaking out about it on Facebook etc cause I knew it wouldnt happen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Are you clear of snow then Mitch?, here in the UK we are getting periodic torrential down pours, with no signs of the supposed blizzards we were set to get in November.

Dave
No, we still have about 6 inches on the ground. It will probably be here to stay with whatever else is added in the next 5 months or so.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The main problem for the Buffalo area is that if there's a ton of snow on your roof, and then it rains and soaks the snow, that the weight on the roof is going to increase exponentially. When the cold snap hits again in the middle of next week, the remaining snow on the roofs is going to flash freeze into ice.

There are going to be problems with ice dams in soffits, and ice creep under shingles. With soffit ice dams, snowmelt is able to get between the brick façade and the interior walls, leading to drywall damage and greatly increasing the potential for mould formation.

The majority of these problems won't be covered under homeowners insurance as the insurance companies will deem them to be "acts of God".

The smart ones will already be up on their roofs removing as much snow as possible in the next couple of days.

Those that live in areas such as this should at the very least have their eaves trough and downspouts equipped with heating cables. They're cheap, easy to install, unobtrusive and require only to be plugged in when they're needed.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I love snow but the kind you get back there in the mid-west and east and Canada is outta my liking league. We lived in Pontiac, Michigan for 2yrs and the first year there was nuts to say the least. I never saw so much snow. Wanted to go for a nice walk in it and hubby and I and the kids got all bundled up and started out for our walk..................that lasted about 5 mins as it was so frigid out there we could hardly breath. Then there was all the ice on the trees, so heavy it busted all the branches and everything came crashing down. We didn't know how the snowplows came through each morning and shoved all the snow that you shoveled off your driveways right back where it was. EEE GADS all that work for nothing. I will enjoy my little 3 day snowfalls here each winter if we are lucky and call it good

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love snow, hate rain, cash good also.
Did you notice all that sentence was four letter words above, just say'in :smug:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
beer wine

If we get snow it usually melts within a week. Very seldom have white all winter. We did when I was a kid growing up in md.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have gotten dumped on big time here but it doesn't stick around long.
Silly cats love the snow too :X3:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I remember the last time it snowed here we then had a black and white cat called Spookey II he jumped into the garden landed on the snow then didnt know what to make of it :LOL:
So Val and I watched him form the Kitchen window making a scollop shaped pattern in the snow trying to make out what all this cold white stuff in his from garden was .
Once he made his mind up it was no threat to him he then proceeded to romp and dive about in it , back then I wish we had had a video camera as it would have made one of these programs that pay you for funny film footage that pay £250.00 UK if shown
One thing that gets me though j.w. looking at the house is your house number and the sheer size of that number god I feel sorry for any postman with a postal round that long and come to think of it a paper boy man that must be a big bag he has to carry :LOL:

Dave

Reaction score
Dave,

Just for fun conversation here... Hope you don't mind a departure from the original subject, but you sort of brought this up. I looked up the longest postal route in the US.

A story published on NBC news in Nov 2013 cited this man and his mail route:

Jim Ed Bull, who is 72 years "young" drives his little, red Ford Ranger 187 miles a day. He makes 198 stops and delivers the US mail to 247 families in Duke and El Dorado, Oklahoma as well as all of the homes and farms in between and has been doing so since 1999. He racked up more than 295,000 miles on his little truck!

He states that he gets a flat tire two to three times a month and has to deal with rattlesnakes and 110 degree heat in the summer.

I think that this says a lot for Jim and his little red truck! That's some good mileage!

Catfishnut

Ask a Question