How do I top off the pond with city water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I found this as part of the FAQ on my water company's website: "We use the minimum chlorine concentration necessary to achieve this disinfection goal. The amount of chlorine in your water may vary, and you may sense a slight bleachy odor from it. A bleachy smell can also come from a small amount of chloramines, which form when free chlorine combines with ammonia or organic nitrogen washed into the river by rain, melting snow or melting ice. There are no adverse health effects from the odor produced from either chlorine or chloramine."

This whole chlorine/chloramine thing is horribly confusing. Pretty sure my dechlorinator takes care of both, but will check when I get home. According to the website water quality test results, there's only chlorine in our water -- no mention of chloramine in their test results.

I have been guilty of topping off my old pond without adding dechlorinator. It was maybe 10-15 gallons out of a total of around 400. I would add the water into the fishless middle pond, so it had a chance to mingle with the existing water and dilute before reaching the fish.

When it came time to do a major top off (more in the range of 50 gallons due to a power failure draining our small lower pond), then i'd break out the dechlor. It was very a very unscientific "fuzzy math" process, though, but regardless, my fish seem to be taking it swimmingly. When I treated, I would only treat for what I put in -- maybe a little bit extra just in case -- the dechlorinator should find whatever chlorine molecules it can and bind to them -- not sure what the benefit of adding too much extra is, although I can be swayed with a convincing enough argument!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This whole chlorine/chloramine thing is horribly confusing. Pretty sure my dechlorinator takes care of both, but will check when I get home. According to the website water quality test results, there's only chlorine in our water -- no mention of chloramine in their test results.
Agreed! I will look at Aquaclear when I get to Lowe's as well to be sure.
I have been guilty of topping off my old pond without adding dechlorinator. It was maybe 10-15 gallons out of a total of around 400.
And wow, that's like 30-40% change, I was looking at adding less than 10%. Michey, you're just a rebel. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too used to top off my pond without adding decor, but after learning so much on these forums, I began adding it every time. I've also read that koi's growth is determined largely by genetics, but partly by their environment . My koi are much smaller than some I've seen, so I wonder if I stunted their growth, so to speak, not adding decor for years?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's true, I am a rebel, but 10-15 gallons out of 400 is, like, less than 5%... See? FUZZY MATHS!!!!!!!
WOW, I don't even know where my brain went with that.... Is it Monday?? Ok it's Monday. Can I use that as an excuse??

They state in the bottom paragraph under Directions If adding directly to aquarium base dose on aquarium volume
See you weren't the lamo! I'm sure there's logic for it, I just don't get it.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lol, thanks Maria, I always look for the humor in life, it's too short to do much else.
I am really surprised how much I like them, I'm starting to see different attitudes in them and it makes me laugh, I can usually predict which one will come up for snacks first now and which one I have to wait for. They are a trip. One even races around and chases my net when I skim the top after work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If adding directly to aquarium base dose on aquarium volume

I wonder if treating an aquarium is different than a pond though due to the smaller volume of water? When we used to change our aquarium water, we would just "age" the replacement water - put it in a container the night before and let it sit uncovered. The chlorine dissipates naturally. But that was for true water changes - removing and replacing a predetermined volume, as opposed to topping off an unknown amount in a pond. I think I'm going get one of those water meters so I can figure out exactly how much my "top offs" amount to!

I've also heard you can reduce chlorine by spraying the water over the pond and the contact with the air will eliminate much of the chlorine... anyone?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My two cents - what I have read:
    • Chlorine dissipates after 24 hours once exposed to the air. So not always necessary to add a dechlorinator if adding a small amount of tap water to the pond.
    • Chloramine is chlorine + ammonia. Chloramines do not dissipate. Always need to treat the water so it is not toxic to your fish.
If you have an ammonia test kit, test your tap water and if your city uses chloramine, ammonia should register on the test strip.
My city uses only chlorine and I confess, depending on the amount of water that is added, I sometimes do not add a dechlorinator.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Chloramine is chlorine + ammonia. Chloramines do not dissipate. Always need to treat the water so it is not toxic to your fish.
the data table shows no ammonia. Not even listed as a negligible amount.
I ran my hose into the bog for 10 minutes with it on low over the weekend but needed to ask the experts before I add any more.
Any idea why I will need to dose for the entire pond every time I add water?
We're watching you!:whistle:
Good, now the paranoia is justified... :cautious::rolleyes:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There is no need to dose the entire volume of the pond, since the existing water doesn't contain chlorine. And as far as 'topping up', anything less than 10% will be sufficiently diluted to be safe for your fish. I'm on a well, and ALL my ponds have been, but previous to that I kept aquaria for over 20 years, mostly on city water, and never bothered to dose anything under a 10 % top-up. Never lost a fish over it!
John

Ask a Question