topping off pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My pond is down several inches over the course of a couple weeks. I think due to evaporation. (I hope) Probably better to add a little water every week rather than waiting till it drops too much. My pond is approx 3000 gal. My question is should I add declorinator if I add water tomorrow? I do have several fish in there trying to get my bio going. Or if I run my hose for say 45 min. would I be alright not adding anything? Dont want to harm the fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen people on here that let there city water trickle in and don't add stuff to it ,I have also seen people on here catch rain water and use that .Barrels with a spigot on the bottom

Reaction score
I believe if you're adding less than 100 gallons foe your size pond and are trickling it into the pond, you should be fine. I have around 2400 gal plus the bog water, and I trickle to top off, but I go ahead and add the de clorinator just incase. I wont hurt to use it. :)

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
If your water is treated with Choramine, then I would suggest adding a treatment to neutralize it. Chlorine will evaporate, but Chloramine will not. Better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I add some dechlorinator to mine whenever I add some top off, just to be safe. Better safe than sorry.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought a cartridge that attaches to the water hose. Well, actually, I've purchased 2. The first one only neutralizes chlorine, as I THOUGHT that was all I was dealing with (city water). Then I realized (when I was having high ammonia readings) that our water is treated with chloramines! It never occurred to me to check with the city. So, I bought another one that claims to neutralize chloramines. But best advice, is still to add water slowly -- even with my cartridges, I like to set the hose on "spray," and let it rain into the pond (always set a timer-reminder so you don't overflow!!!).

BTW, I ordered these from AMAZON. About $30-some-odd each. The "chlorine-only" one says it's good for about 20,000 gals (I also bought a digital flow gauge so I know how much I'm adding -- also from AMAZON), and I think the "chloramine" one says it's good for about 10,000 gals. We use quick-connects on our hoses & accessories, so makes it easy to take off/put on as needed.

Oh, and another neat gadget I bought, is a digital timer ( HOME DEPOT, but don't recall the brand). The thing was super easy to program. I have a small sprinkler set up, in line with the cartridge (but not the water gauge) and have it set to come on every 2 days for about 10 minutes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I stopped and bought some dechlorinator tonight. Just to be safe. Should I add enough for the entire 3000 gal since Im just adding a few inches to pond?

TM I think one of those cartridges that attach to the hose would be handy. Might have to add that to my list of pond things I want. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I top off, I just pour a little in the hose water as it's coming out. Not enough for the whole pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I only add a little dechlorinator when I top off. I wouldn't add the entire volumes worth. Just try and guesstimate the amount being added.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I read that if you use a drip irrigation line with a 1 GPH nozzle for every 1000 Gallon of water, it not only tops up, but also does a natural water change (provided you have a overflow installed). I'm thinking of trying it with a gravity fed drip system on a rain barrel.

Ask a Question