Topping off pond

Reaction score
I can find a comment or two in some of the threads, but nothing for sure.

I am wondering about topping off my pond during winter. I have well water and it is around 58 degrees. If I need to top off my pond logic tells me to put the hose at the bottom of the pond to warm up the water at the bottom. Although I know heat rises, but is there any benifit to filling it from the bottom or would it matter?

Sorry it's a little long.

Thanks
Steve

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you did drop the hose to the bottom, turn the hose on lightly. your fish will be gathered there and any quick changes in temp might stress fish with their already compromised 'winter' immune systems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would do it from the top so you don't stir up the muck on the bottom.
Adding a topping off ou won't even notice a change in temps.
If you were doing a large water change it would.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was told by someone that well water does not have much oxygen in it so you should add your water from the top and use a spray nozzle and have it slightly above the surface so it splashes in and creates oxygen. I didn't read up on this and don't know if it's true so if anybody has researched it I would be interested. Since the someone told me I have been doing it that way :lol:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I would not worry about it for what little it adds while topping off. Having a continous spray would benefit the pond more. I use a cascading waterfall to areate mine. It runs 24/7.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I turn my waterfall off during the winter and that is the only aeration I have in there other than a fountain that just has a straight up gurgling open holed pipe type of action to it and it only goes up about 7 or 8 inches. Oh I forgot I do have a little air pump also to keep the ice from freezing the whole pond in winter. I think I shall still position the hose on the surface when adding water just to be safe besides the fish seem to love the spraying action it creates
WashingFish1.gif

Ask a Question