How hard to grow lilies from seeds?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you Googled "water lily seeds"? I just did and got quite a few hits. But since it was already mentioned that there is confusion between water lily and lotus, not sure what I was looking at just from pics or descriptions.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Thanks guys for your help. I will buy those white seeds. Shipping won't work. An express shipping will cost hundreds of dollars.

Today i went to the only lake with water lilies. I figured they weren't really. I walked in the water and tried to pull off a couple. No luck. Those yellow lotus plants had very thick but at the same time very weak body. So whenever i tried to pull one it broke. I tried to dig around the root but it's root is too hard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks guys for your help. I will buy those white seeds. Shipping won't work. An express shipping will cost hundreds of dollars.

Today i went to the only lake with water lilies. I figured they weren't really. I walked in the water and tried to pull off a couple. No luck. Those yellow lotus plants had very thick but at the same time very weak body. So whenever i tried to pull one it broke. I tried to dig around the root but it's root is too hard.
if you find one that you can take (without being illegal) you can trace the stem on the leaves to the base, hack a bit of the base off and that should be enough to start your own.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Nepen actually i thought about it. I pulled one stem off from the base and it had a a white tip. No rooting but a white tip. It is like ripping off a leave of lettuce. The tip is white. Is that enough? (i don't know if what i said makes sense for you)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
no that's not enough. The stem attache to a tuber. you need part of the tuber.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw lotus and lilies mentioned. If a lily all you need is the growing tip of the tuber. If it is a lotus you need the entire tuber. They are fragile.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The person I got my lotus tubers from in NC neglected them real bad but they grew .I babied the ones he gave me and they died ,should have neglected them :);)The lilies i neglect now and they grow great

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The person I got my lotus tubers from in NC neglected them real bad but they grew .I babied the ones he gave me and they died ,should have neglected them :);)The lilies i neglect now and they grow great
nice to know I have always been told lotus are fragile babies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He never even put water in the tubs in the summer and he was in NC so don't know how or why they survived .He told me they were growing there when he bought the house 12 years ago .I am planning on getting another tuber from him and this time I will neglect it ;)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lotus tub, I ignore. I stuck them in years ago, don't feed, don't groom they do great. They get dirty water from the big pond. I do cut back the leaves in the fall.
The tuber , from what I have read and been told, is what is fragile if you go to move one, groom them etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I find the lotus tubers are much harder to deal with than lilies. If you can plant them and leave them they'll do great. But it's definitely a trickier business to separate and replant than water lilies. Last year I had three beautiful tubers all set to repot and the dog snatched two of them off the table behind my back. She just picked them up - didn't even really chew them - but that was enough. They rotted. The third one did great. If those were water lily tubers they wouldn't have minded even being gnawed on - can't hurt those things! They are such beautiful plants though - well worth the effort!

Ask a Question