How hard to grow lilies from seeds?

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
if you find one that you can take (without being illegal) you can trace the stem on the leaves to the base, hack a bit of the base off and that should be enough to start your own.

I have never tried it. I would guess he can't bring back a tuber.

I find the lotus tubers are much harder to deal with than lilies. If you can plant them and leave them they'll do great. But it's definitely a trickier business to separate and replant than water lilies. Last year I had three beautiful tubers all set to repot and the dog snatched two of them off the table behind my back. She just picked them up - didn't even really chew them - but that was enough. They rotted. The third one did great. If those were water lily tubers they wouldn't have minded even being gnawed on - can't hurt those things! They are such beautiful plants though - well worth the effort!

Guys , i finally could get 8 roots of that lilies. I used a shovel to take them out. And when i researched further it turned out they are Nuphar Lutea.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen those lilies in "wild" ponds they are neat looking. Pretty yellow flowers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great now you can see how they grow from all your hard work of getting them .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love those! I have one too. They are winter hardy. I saw them in Newfoundland, Canada. They are everywhere.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Great now you can see how they grow from all your hard work of getting them .
I love those! I have one too. They are winter hardy. I saw them in Newfoundland, Canada. They are everywhere.
I have seen those lilies in "wild" ponds they are neat looking. Pretty yellow flowers.

Guys it is 8 hardiness zone here. Some days we have frost but usually we lose it when sun comes up.

So do you think they will lose their leaves in winter or not? I checked Earth images and in January, that lake still had leaves covered, which i guess means they won't shred leaves in my pond.

Well, Canada is like 10 times colder than here :) .

I don't need to order any plants anymore. From that lake I collected killifish, gammarus, shrimps, at least 5 species of submerged plants, snails, mosquito fish ...

Aphanius Mento . Killifish.

tumblr_nmd4znrmbV1th8jn4o1_1280.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha that's great that you can get native plants (well, hope they are native!) and fish! It's against the law to take wild life and plants from state park here (and when it's not state own, it's other people's land).

I think the lily you got will be fine.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
haha that's great that you can get native plants (well, hope they are native!) and fish! It's against the law to take wild life and plants from state park here (and when it's not state own, it's other people's land).

I think the lily you got will be fine.

Neben i don't know how you imagine 2nd world countries like my country but here there are not really many restrictions or laws to protect the nature. Is Nupher Lutea or the fish i got native? God knows... Because even if you want to find out you can't. Who you gonna call? Wildlife bla bla department? They don't even know what a waterlily or killifish looks like. :D No kidding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Neben i don't know how you imagine 2nd world countries like my country but here there are not really many restrictions or laws to protect the nature. Is Nupher Lutea or the fish i got native? God knows... Because even if you want to find out you can't. Who you gonna call? Wildlife bla bla department? They don't even know what a waterlily or killifish looks like. :D No kidding.
oh I know. I'm from Thailand :) My husband had to reminded me a few times, 'no, you cant take that!!' lol.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did he smack your hand more than once nepen LOL
no smacking ;) just the evil eyes :sneaky: and the nagging...

Actually my mother in-law gave me this explanation that I can relate the most - that if everybody think it's ok (example - to pick a flower from the ground), then we wont have seen these (flower etc) along the way, it'd have been pick clean already. Same thing when we went to places like fossil hill (just a big open space with tons of fossil - that if each one of us take the fossil home for souvenir, it'll be gone before we know it. These to explain my son's complaint of 'oh, just one tiny one, please!!!'.

Ask a Question