How low does it have to get to turn off the punps?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

The last time I turned off my pumps I lost one and being the superstitious weirdo I am I dont want to repeat it.

Around here in Dallas the weather one light will hit 16. Now I have the pipes wrapped to the waterfall but is that too cold or can I leave them on?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it were my pond, I'd not have any water in any pipe that might freeze and crack. I don't need more pond chores in the spring. If you absolutely need the the water moving, just aim it near the surface of the pond proper and drain any pipes exposed to such temps. Again, that's what I'd do.

Moving water will mitigate the freezing effect for a while but I'd hedge on the safe side.

Michael

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would turn the pump off till the temps rise . I turned mine off and the drains on my filters had already frozen. I have broken drains now so no filters! Just make sure the water around your pump doesn't freeze.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Be safe not sorry and learn from others .1 mistake you don't want to make

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
One other question. I have a Helix skimmer and 2 inches of stone and another 2 inches of concrete between me and the pump so its down about 4 feet and the water is REALLY cold and the last thing I want to do is force one of these connections without being sure espeically stretching that far down :)

Is the middle connection the most likely to unscrew or is it the connection towards the back? I can't remember. :(

8RzOLB.jpg

3sypVW.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I leave my pump running unless the ice buildup makes it struggles to keep up the flow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
One other question. I have a Helix skimmer and 2 inches of stone and another 2 inches of concrete between me and the pump so its down about 4 feet and the water is REALLY cold and the last thing I want to do is force one of these connections without being sure espeically stretching that far down :)

Is the middle connection the most likely to unscrew or is it the connection towards the back? I can't remember. :(

8RzOLB.jpg

3sypVW.jpg
One of my pumps sits inside the skimmer. I turn it off, but leave it in place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well we lost power for 6 hours so I had no choice but to keep it off since I was worried the lines froze.

Seems to be ok. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Ask a Question