How many plants is too much

Reaction score
I just recently bought 4 koi fish to try in my pond. I am trying to figure out how many plants should i keep in my pond. My pond is about 250 gallons.

The reason I ask this is because I would really like to feed them with koi food. I bought some from Petco but they will not eat it. I put it in and eventually sinks to the bottom and stays there. I guess I have too many plants, I have 2 water lillys and one other water plant i cant recall the name.

I guess it could be that they don't like the food I got. Will they pick plants over fish food normally?

Reaction score
You cant have too many plants. But you can have too many fish for your pond size and filtration. 250 gallon is small, way to small for 4 adult koi. Its actually not enough for a single koi. Have a look here:
http://www.koiandponds.com/fishstockingtable.htm

With your pond, I would stick to goldfish. shubunkins are pretty nice and not as demanding as koi.

That your fish are not eating, is likely because they are stressed. They could be stressed just from the shock of new water and new pond, but I fear more likely they are stressed from bad water quality. Insufficient filtration (what filter do you have?), overfeeding (since they dont eat), both resulting in ammonia and/or nitrite spikes. Test your water. These elements will kill your fish. Slowly in low concentrations, overnight if higher ones.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with vertigo, you need to get a test kit and check your water. And for that size stick with goldfish/shubunkins they have some great colors.

Koi, if they live, will get huge, they are need large amounts of water to be healthy and great filtration.

Reaction score
well i redid my calculations on my area its probably closer to 400 gallons. My koi fish are really small just about 3 inches long each currently.

Reaction score
I would say keep them till they get bigger it wont take long but for now I think your safe. Or mebbe get rid of one or two so your water will stay heathy for the fish..

Reaction score
Yeah, I dug my hole hoping for 800 gallons and ended-up with 600 and decided against koi for sure especially after reading they need a long distance to swim for mental health and my diameter is only 7.5'. So I went with catfish. At least I can eat them when they get too big. lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
young99 said:
Well I guess I may see if I can find a home for my koi and find different fish.

Shubunkins can have some really nice colors, same with goldfish and they can handle a smaller pond.

Ask a Question