How much water in a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I see pictures of bogs with very little water above the gravel, and others with several inches of water showing. I just wondered if it makes a difference? In order to get the water flowing over the little waterfall, my water is higher than the gravel.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And some with no water above the gravel at all…... That’s a good question, and I think it’s done both ways. I’ll let others chime in and tell you why they did theirs the way they did. My thought is that some plants that do well in a bog like their crown above or just at water level, and some like it deeper…..so, depends on the plants, maybe? My bog (when I reinstate it). will have places with little to no water above the gravel, and some areas with approx. 4” of water above the gravel — BUT my bog is/will be purpose built to provide a water source for box turtles (they are non-aquatic, but still need a safe place to drink and soak).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you have a plant that doesn’t like the crown in water, could you build a little area up with rocks to accommodate? What determines the water level?
My son came home for Christmas and built a new bog for me. I’ve wanted one for a long time, but was afraid to tackle it at 73. It was a wonderful Christmas present. Now I dreaming of planting it in the spring. Thanks for your replies!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Minimun is same level of the gravel, because bacteria need to colonize it, then depends on which plants you want in your bog, and yes you can make a dry zone with rocks if you want.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you have a plant that doesn’t like the crown in water, could you build a little area up with rocks to accommodate? What determines the water level?
My son came home for Christmas and built a new bog for me. I’ve wanted one for a long time, but was afraid to tackle it at 73. It was a wonderful Christmas present. Now I dreaming of planting it in the spring. Thanks for your replies!
How nice of your son to do that for you.
Does your son like to travel? I have a shovel :D
1641582024057.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, I think I might have worn him out! We were out there digging in 34 degree weather. The bog turned out about as big as the pond. We had an assembly line going. I rinsed the pea gravel, he hauled it in wheel barrels, and dumped it in. He did all the pvc pipes and spread the all the dug earth in the garden. I stacked rocks after he left. Then would you believe, it started to snow! I’m still waiting for the bog to thaw. I’ll post a picture when I see water again!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What is going to determine the water level initially in your bog is where it spills/dumps back into the pond….now this can be adjusted with rocks, logs and foam. Also, water levels in the bog May rise over time as plants take over and create dams here and there in the bog.

I have portions of my bogs with a couple inches of water and other portions about 6” above the water level, mainly So I can vary the plants I stick in there. The raise areas are divided by logs and larger rocks to create the higher planting beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I can just dam up an area and put more pea gravel in it?
water will find the lowest point, so anywhere higher you want, just put more there. Water will find it's own level every time. Like Jhn said; water level in a bog can rise, so make sure your bog walls are at least 6" above the water level to accommodate this eventuality. And if a separate liner than the pond, have the overlap INTO the pond be at least 6" below pond level and the whole bog 6" above that. Over time, roots will clog and your bog will find new areas to flood.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is 27 feet long 4ish feet wide. The one thing I would probably do different, IF I WERE TO DO IT AGAIN, would be to stick with shorter plants.

My obedient , bentomy , mint, yellow flag are all tall, from 4 feet to 5 feet tall. They all tend to fall over during the summer, grow via runners bloom beautifully, filter wonderfully. Nothing short survives.

But I found water willow, variegated japanese iris, bog bean smaller plants that would do great, bloom nicely filter wonderfully.

So if you want a more controlled bog watch what plants you put in.

Mine has shallow areas, low areas, above water areas, the plants don't seem to care.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine is like @addy1 , although no where near as big. But I am constantly moving rocks and gravel around to accommodate whatever I'm trying to plant, or to make room for water to flow around things that got a bit TOO big!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have added or removed flat rocks directly in my spillway to adjust the water level in the bog.
This is very easy to do.
Even with a wide open 3 foot waterfall from the bog, it has backed up. The little rivers to the waterfall get blocked by plants. I make it a point to go in and yank plants off and on all summer.

Ask a Question