HOW OLD IS MY GOLDFISH?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, so they're not horses, but is there a way to know how old your fish are?

All of my guys & girls were bought from local pet stores within the past year [except for the 2 that appeared as babies]. All were the "average" pet store size. How old are they usually when they are sold to the public? "Months" old, "years" old.....?

Just curious.

Reaction score
I would also think it depends on the variety.

I have two batches of comets from last summer (spawned here) ... the ones that wintered outside, are now only about 3-4" ... the ones over wintered inside, are mostly around 6" now. Most of my long finned adults disappeared over the winter (never found a body, so dont know what got them), and the couple left are maybe 4-5 years old now, and are 8-9" ...

The shubbies I wintered inside, with the comets (and some koi) are still small yet in comparision .. they are mostly 2-3" with one monster (May spawn) that is about 5" ... the adults are a few years old, and 7-9" long (long finned variety) ...

We have one white feeder, that we have had for 4-5 years, hasnt grown at all since we've had it, that is just over 12" (short fins) ... A long time ago, I found a site that had cool developmental pictures of what a standard goldfish looked like at certain ages, and the only thing I know is from that site, body changes, this feeder gold fish was 9+ when we got him/her.

With seeing the growth pattern on the comets (inside verses outside), my guess is most sold in stores are raised inside in vats, and would be a few months old in the 2-3" standard tanks at place like Petsmart.

All guesswork however, so take it for what it's worth LOL.

Reaction score
Feeder sized goldfish are usually 3-4 months old. Even at the same age, they vary a lot in length. They grow rapidly during the first year, but the growth rate varies a lot even for fish from the same spawn, so the size of year old goldfish varies widely. Almost all of the goldfish you see in the big box pet stores are well under a year in age.

If you guess your fish were 4 months old when you got them, you won't be far off.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
All this is true. The size is not a great indicator but goldfish raised to sell in stores generally not going to be old fish. It is like raising cattle. You want to get them to markets ASAP. I suppose once in a while you might get a retired breeder that is older but it would be the exception.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Both goldffish and koi have teeth on the lager koi they are remarkably human molar type teeth from time to time they shed them and if your lucky you can see them in filters the bottom of your filters, you can bet your bottim dollar that they have spent around 2 - 3 years in the fish farm before being sold,
In the case of some koi even longer is spent in huge mud ponds growing on to full size before being sold.
I like taking them from around about 3" and growing them on to 24" before selling them on to be grown on in larger ponds

rgrds

Dave.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, I guess it's safe to guesstimate that most of my fish are just coming on their first year birthday. They are all different sizes, though there are 3 comets and one fantail that are obviously larger than the rest. I know the fantail and [at least] one of the comets were among my very first purchases, so it makes sense that they'd be larger.

Mainly, I was just curious, as I have no idea how the "fish trade" works. I would at least assume that sellers are going to wait until the fish are large enough to have color and have an idea of their body type. Wow, so that means goldfish grow pretty fast from the fry stage!

Reaction score
My thoughts are where goldfish (comet and shubunkins anyways) are so cheap, the commercial growers are going to want to move them out as fast as they can.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
capewind said:
My thoughts are where goldfish (comet and shubunkins anyways) are so cheap, the commercial growers are going to want to move them out as fast as they can.
That goes for most all goldfish. And some use drugs to get them to look grown up sooner too. Sad really.

Reaction score
HTH said:
That goes for most all goldfish. And some use drugs to get them to look grown up sooner too. Sad really.
That's awful, and probably koi too ...

I need to find my motivation. Moved all the small babies out of the 55 gallon tank downstairs to the plant pond a couple days ago ... now need to move the 10 little shub babies (they may be shubby/comet crosses) from their tank, to the 55, so I can break down the smaller tank.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
LOL I just need to get off the chair and out of the house. My wife beat me to it which is very strange as she was in sad shape yesterday.

Ask a Question