How privileged are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The absolute worst part of 'technology' imo is when you invite friends over and they are on their phone (doing whatever) half the time. I feel like I'm intruding on their 'space' just trying to socialize. And I see it becoming the norm. Sad, sad, sad. If you want to 'talk'/interact with another/game, then why are you with us?

okay, back to my old tech corner. Btw, I had a cell phone once in my life, about 15 years ago and gave it up after the first 'roaming charges' bill arrived. Actually, it seemed to take my time away from doing my job and I'd already learned to 'live' without one and so, the transition back hardly hurt.

Michael

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My friends laugh at me because I have an old flip phone. All I need it for is to get/ make phone calls for my business.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get insulted by people when you are talking to them and they are texting and just saying HMMM to every thing you say .Soon people will forget to talk .

Reaction score
To me a privilege is something that can be taken away such as a drivers license. Everything else I have I either worked for or it was given to me. If it was given to me I don't consider that a privilege. I was given an opportunity for a public education in the city schools. It was up to me to take the opportunity. I was taught right from wrong,( are good parents considered a privilege?) it was up to me to decide which road to take. I had the opportunity to have a part time job at $1.20 an hour so instead of hanging out I took the job. From there I took my money and bought what I wanted to buy. I made a lot of financial mistakes along the way but took the opportunity to learn from them. Those that talk about "privilege" are simply making an excuse. Its just as easy to succeed as it is to fail. Success doesn't mean living the easy life it just means living a good life. A good life doesn't mean an easy life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm with you @mgmine - unfortunately today, the word "privilege" has taken a whole new twist. We're all supposed to feel guilty for things which aren't really privilege, but more likely just circumstance. And what looks like "privilege" from the outside looking in is, exactly as you said, more likely the result of hard work and lots of sacrifice.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MitchM
took your "GET TO IT BOI" advice, went on KTLO Trading post, looked for some "I Need Help" ADS ((there was only 1, posted 2 days ago))
Saw one, called the number, got my shi* together really quick, and was like "Hey I saw your AD on KTLO, that you need help with some yard work?"
Later on: "That would be great thank you! does 30 a day sound ok?"

That's 30 more than I had.
So now im working 3 jobs LOL (not full time)

So thanks mitch for that boost of energy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wait how many hours are you to work for $30 ? What I don't want to hear from a employee is Sorry I am late.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nate; you can also recognize a local 'need' and provide the service, being your own boss and setting your own/going rates. If you're working 8 hours and only getting $30, something is wrong with that picture. Seems you can get a minimum wage job that pays more than that...

Just a note re 'privileged'; Everyone compares this term relative to another (group). In the US, we're privileged relative to those in Africa. It's all relative. And those that ARE privileged (I consider myself blessed, not lucky or 'privileged' for whatever I do have/earned) will be upset when those that are not (based on the definition and relativity of it all) while those that are not, typically see those that are as classists. I think it's better not to dwell on what you don't have but be thankful for what you do, making the most of what you have and helping others as you can. I don't believe anyone is promised 'happiness', but that often comes when there's 'purpose'.

Michael

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wait how many hours are you to work for $30 ? What I don't want to hear from a employee is Sorry I am late.
she told me 30 a day, im a quick and thorough worker I'd say myself so it may take me 12 hours max with the size of her property. Not including "filling the gas on the lawnmower back up"

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you're working 8 hours and only getting $30, something is wrong with that picture. Seems you can get a minimum wage job that pays more than that...
Yea but I figured since shes just an old lady about to get cited by the city, I have no burden with only 30 bucks for 12 hours (ex). 30 dollars more than I had a bit ago, she said she doesn't have that much money, I can relate if shes telling the truth.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here to mow and trim and blow grass off sidewalks and driveways they charge 30 dollars an acre .I commend you for helping a senior out .When seniors are cited for stuff like that it is bad ,What do you choose food or yard work being done

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have finally convinced my mom to give up her house for this very reason - she's very frugal and can't stand paying anyone to help with the yard work. She has the money, but in her mind $10 is still good money to mow and trim her 1/2 acre lot. Professionals want $75 or $100 here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads