How privileged are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I scored five.
Yes, I have come from a two parent family, and it was stable.
We went to a museum or two with my parents.
I've paddled a canoe, twice.
You work your way from the outside towards your plate when using any cutlery.
A lot of my Grammar school pals did go to uni, I didn't.
Coming from the UK I've visited many European countries and travelled to many parts of Asia, Australia and the African continent, but I've never been to Canada...so I didn't count a point for this!
Do I consider myself privileged, it depends on who I'm being compared to. To the tramp on the streets, then yes I am. To the footballers wife who is dripping with money no....but have they they really been happy I ask? I'm privileged because I was married to my dear late d/h for 40 years, we had three great children, they have married three lovely people and I now have four adorable grandsons. The rest of my family and my friends are good people too. These are things that are more important. Privileged can mean different things to different people. I've never tweeted and have no desire to either. As for maternal education affecting children's education, that's hogwash. As I said, I didn't go to uni, my three have all got excellent degrees and good jobs so that theory is flawed in my case. As for the 120,000$ family income....I wish! We never got anywhere near that, but we survived. We were always solvent and owned our own house and vehicles, and I still do despite being on my own.
So I don't consider myself as anything special, I'm just ordinary, and I'm quite OK with that, and whether anyone else thinks I'm privileged, that's up to them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I could, I would keep the cell phones (nice to have in emergencies) , but without games and unlimited texting and anything else that makes them addictive!
Technology is awesome, but I would gladly regress a bit! At least to the point where my kids had to be in the same room, to play a video games together!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
our world is full of people who don't talk they text .You can't get away from it ,but for me I prefer to socialize and enjoy a day out even if it is just to the grocery store .I have my phone but always forget to charge it and the smart than me car talks back to me when I make a boo boo talking to her .Just get the freaken address you don't have to correct me

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
our world is full of people who don't talk they text
I am looking for another job right, since the one I just have now is about every weekend, looking for a full time basically. (this is happening, Now)
And all around me the minimum hiring age is 18, Even grocery stores...
So I post on facebook that "hey im looking for a job" (my mom posted this for me since I don't have a facebook, etc)
So we get six offers, they are ALL interested, so we eventually say "yea give us a call here is our number :)"
No replies..
Kill me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Just a piece of advice, Dutch - if someone says they're interested in you working for them - don't wait for them to call you. Show up on their doorstep willing to go to work for them now.
- and once you're working for them, don't turn down any opportunity to make yourself indispensable.
Employers want someone that wants to work.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
wants to work.
Hell yea.. :D

But seriously, that's one of the reasons we posted it on FB, so I could get more "manual labor based jobs" because I cant just stand around all day, that's my torture. I need to be WORKING!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Txing is the only way I can talk to some nieces and nephews, they will not answer a phone call.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"all around me the minimum hiring age is 18," Does your state have working papers? They let kids under 18 work legally.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I got a part time job washing windows at a local mall retail outlet for $20 cash, every Saturday.
I was 12 years old. They were friends of my parents.
It's a lot better than being an "expert" at Road Warriors III or whatever!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got a part time job washing windows at a local mall retail outlet for $20 cash, every Saturday.
My first job was baby sitting, 5 boys, one girl with mental issues for five cents a hour. I quit when the girl threw me against a wall one day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started at ford at 17 and before that worked at chanel perfume factory in Piscataway NJ .I had a studio apart above my aunt and still went home to help out .I lied about my age and no one checked it out .Back then I guess they didn't care to look .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bikmann

Latest Threads