How to attract dragonflies to your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
As a deep south native of LA, Tadpole is right on. Down there, we called them mosquito hawks, but either way, they love lots of wet and access to water with plants sticking out, cuz they lay their eggs right under the water on a plant stalk. (They also love to crunch sugar in your hand if you catch one, weird hunh?) lol.

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I usually have lots of dragonflies around my garden, esp when I'm watering, but when I added a dripper over my little trough pond, they went right for it. It drips onto a potted plant on a stand in the trough, then into the water, from about 18" up. I did it for the hummingbirds, but dragonflies seem to like it too.
The drip line is just poked into the tubing near the pump, and has a nice steady drip without too much pressure from the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Dragonflies will also be attracted to alot of green. The more lush the surroundings are, the more likely they will come investigate.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As a deep south native of LA, Tadpole is right on. Down there, we called them mosquito hawks, but either way, they love lots of wet and access to water with plants sticking out, cuz they lay their eggs right under the water on a plant stalk. (They also love to crunch sugar in your hand if you catch one, weird hunh?) lol.
My grandma called them darning needles. I was also told they would sew your mouth shut. o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Haha! I was told toads cause worts too! Even my idiot boyfriends idiot mother tried to sell me on that when I was 22. I had to let her know I wasnt 5 yrs old, and even if I was, I needed to touch the toads, worts or not! Lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Haha! I was told toads cause worts too! Even my idiot boyfriends idiot mother tried to sell me on that when I was 22. I had to let her know I wasnt 5 yrs old, and even if I was, I needed to touch the toads, worts or not! Lol!
lol. Me too. I was also told bats would get tangled in your hair.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Yep, dragonflies will sew your lips together and my mom claimed, "no swimming for an hour after eating or you'll get horrible cramps"!

Dragonflies love to perch on tall skinny things, plants, sticks etc. and they do eat a lot of mosquitoes. I really love things that eat mosquitoes! Bats, frogs, toads and dragonflies are my friends. Dragonflies are incredible fliers and really fun to watch and try to photograph. I'd do most anything to attract them, except encourage mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Omg! That actually reminds me of a story about our next door neighbor. We had this fixed Tom cat but he was a territorial killer as any good cat should be. He cleared our house of mice and took and occassional bird or bat. He haunted our lot and the neighbors lot and cleaned them of small "undesireables" for years.

Well, I got to talking with my alchoholic, high neighbor one day and made the mistake of bragging that our cat had killed a bat. He got incensed and went on about how good bats are for the environment (I knew this already, sometimes you need the bad with the good), and he proceeded to speak to me about stopping the cat from killing birds and bats.

I told him, (and this is totally true!) that I would talk with the cat about stopping killing the bats. He said ok and seemed satisfied I was going to have a "discussion" with the cat. My husband and I had the biggest laugh over this! To this day its one of my most memorable stories.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dragonflies have been around my pond since the first day I filled it with water. However, I did have issues keeping them around the pond for more than 30 second intervals. To solve this I cut three long straight branches off one my crapemyrtle and put them on the far side of the pond sticking up above all my plants. Now the dragon flies stick around for half an hour landing on those sticks and flying around the pond. Horse rush is great too. Now that mine is grown to 2 feet they use that alot.

Ask a Question