How to clean algae off of plants

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Figured this would be an interesting topic. Got thoughts? :razz:

If ya read a couple of my previous posts in other threads, then ya would know I am thinking of ways to remove algae off my red stemmed parrot feather and maris tail.

Parrot feather is going into a pot, allowing it to drop down to the water level but cut any stems that actually do get into the water. Can't do this with the Maris Tail tho.

Maris Tail is an oxygenator, fully submerged like the Anacharis; think it is a variety of Anacharis.

To get algae off my Parrot Feather and Maris Tail, I sucked the algae off with a vacuum, lol. And it seems to keep the plant together when done right.

Maris Tail was easy since it is already fully submerged in water, stems sticking straight up. I just simply took my vacuum, came down straight over it so the limbs went straight into the suction, only for a quick second, then took them out of the suction. No algae and its leaves and stems are not broken nor missing. Don't come at them at an angle or stems break.

Parrot Feather I had a tougher time. I had to fully submerge the plant so the stems were sticking straight up. Problem, Parrot Feather not as sturdy as the Maris Tail so I actually broke a couple stems and stripped some of its really tiny leaves off. I figure, I could add a T adapter to my suction hose to reduce the suction and try it again with a lower suction.

Anyone use any other tricks or methods or products to take algae off of plants ?? :)

Reaction score
I started out with the normal plants in pots submerged on shelves. Raccoons knocked them over, made a mess. Plants looked like crap for much of the year with the algae and the dying back in cold water of winter (zone 9).

So I slowly moved them out of the pond and above the water. That was the first bog I had. It started out as 10'x12' shallow pond just for pots. Full of string algae. Filled with gravel to just above the water and planted into the gravel and also planted pots in the gravel. Very little maintenance, just dividing, dead heading. I never found a marginal that didn't do better with the crown above water. Including Mare's Tail.

Canna Wyoming, 8' tall, in 5 gal pots buried in gravel, crown about 1" above water.
canna1.jpg

Zebra Grass in the pot. Horsetail rush to the left. Marshmallow, the trunk, plant was about 7' tall. Pickerel, did way better above water.
bog1.jpg

I like simple. I'd never go back to plants in the pond except for Water Lilies and Lotus and those would get their own pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have string algae on the pond plants, but I have a ton of plants and maybe there is just too much competition for the food.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw I have not tended to my pond in awhile but have to get back out there and get some done on it .I did finish planting a lot of the flowers i started from seed .I guess I really don't worry about algae on the plants or pots the fish will eat some of it .My water is clear and that's all I care about .I look at streams and natural ponds here and they all have some algae and I think it is just part of the eco system working .

Reaction score
Depending on the temperature of the water, if it is a constant 70+ degree water, you might consider some algae eating fish like Siamese Algae Eaters, flying foxes, otos (careful nothing eats these little guys!), bristlenose plecos, and if you have a large pond, a common pleco. Plecos are somewhat iffy though, since they can grow to 24" under good conditions (NOT in a small fish tank!). All of these however, need to be taken in during the cold parts of the year, since they're tropical fish.

If you have a small container pond with no other fish, Amano shrimp may also be an option.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, my water temperature is going back and forth from 64 F degrees to 74 F degrees.

Do y'all think the comet goldfish varieties will eat any of those algae eating fish ya mentioned such as the Otocinclus ??

Is 64 F degrees too cold for the plecoes and other algae eating fish ??

--------------

Sissy, I agree with ya but my oxygenators are turning brown due to the coat of algae forming on the plants. Don't think they can oxygenate much with a brown coat of algae on them.

Instead of the vacuum trick, I have just been going in to ruffle up the oxygenators a bit. I ruffled soft enough so I would not break their tiny little leaves and stems. I have been doing this twice a week. It seems to work. I would rather not have to do this if there is a fish option that will nibble on this algae. Heh, my comets are freak'n out when my big hand goes in to ruffle up the oxygenators.

Reaction score
Yeah, my water temperature is going back and forth from 64 F degrees to 74 F degrees.

Do y'all think the comet goldfish varieties will eat any of those algae eating fish ya mentioned such as the Otocinclus ??

Is 64 F degrees too cold for the plecoes and other algae eating fish ??

I would say that really is too cold for any of the fish, even the shrimp. I don't exactly have experience with goldfish, although following the rule of "big fish eat little fish" I'd say that goldfish would go after anything they think they could fit in their mouths. I've see videos of goldfish that tried eating plecos nearly half their size, and nearly died from the pleco's spikes. The oto is nearly too small for a pond in my opinion (you do need 3-6+ for a school of them though), it's only up to 2" long, and defenseless. They and the shrimp are suitable for tropical container ponds, with nothing that could eat them.

Ask a Question