How to create the divider between the bog and the pond?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Um i am unaware of any difference in the builds between those two other then a bog has plants thrown in to the wetland filter.
Or are you referring to a aquablock setup over a peastone and pipe baffle

An why are you unhappy with your bog ?
The pump takes clean water from a wetland instead of taking dirty water to a bog. I use prefilters and they are a pain to clean. Too many fish doesn't help either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pump takes clean water from a wetland instead of taking dirty water to a bog. I use prefilters and they are a pain to clean. Too many fish doesn't help either.
I'm lost if you take clean water from a wetland with a pump how does the wetland get the dirty water pull the water down through the rock ?

I use only a basket strainer to keep heavy materials from getting to the pump and bog. No pa I n what so ever once a week or in the fall once a day I empty the basket. Crystal clear
waters.

I pump dirty water to the bog which is a wetland filter. I pump to the bottom of the bog. I do have a settling chamber where debris is hoped to drop out and and the finer is forced by displacement up through the rock and then through the root mass of the plants. The rock grabs the fines as does the roots . but the plants absorb the phosphates nitrates and amonias. Polish tge water and it goes round and round. If this isn't working it may be your design.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It sounds like you're talking down flow vs up flow "bog" @Sisha - am I understanding correctly? Technically you are correct - in nature, the water flows over and through a bog, it isn't pumped up from the bottom. However, I think you'd find down flow bogs have their downside as well - specifically the clogging that happens at the surface.

Neither of these is truly a "natural" construction so both require some maintenance. In my case I pump "clean" water to the upflow bog because I have a negative edge that dumps water into a "down flow bog" - which is really nothing more than another form of pre-filter that has to be cleaned periodically.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only point to that I'd raise an eye brow too would be is. I wouldn't call falling through the rock to the pump house as clean id call it large bebris material strained out.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm lost if you take clean water from a wetland with a pump how does the wetland get the dirty water pull the water down through the rock ?

I use only a basket strainer to keep heavy materials from getting to the pump and bog. No pa I n what so ever once a week or in the fall once a day I empty the basket. Crystal clear
waters.

I pump dirty water to the bog which is a wetland filter. I pump to the bottom of the bog. I do have a settling chamber where debris is hoped to drop out and and the finer is forced by displacement up through the rock and then through the root mass of the plants. The rock grabs the fines as does the roots . but the plants absorb the phosphates nitrates and amonias. Polish tge water and it goes round and round. If this isn't working it may be your design.
Have you got a pic of your basket strainer? I clean my 5 prefilters once a week. Water is crystal clear. I'm going up to a larger pump and doing away with the 5 smaller pumps. Working on a design to make a stainless prefilter that only needs a brush off occasionally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not exactly sure what you are describing.
I pump water from my pond to a manifold under gravel in my bog. The water rises up through the gravel and flows naturally back to the pond.

No pre-filters neccessary. I feel the whole point of the bog is crystal clear water and no filter pads or pre-filters to rinse.

My pond is way overpopulated with koi, goldfish, shubunkin. I keep my pump off the bottom with a string so as not to suck up any debris that may collect on the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you could need a pre-filter, depending on where you are pumping your water from. If you keep your pump off the bottom of your pond, you're fine. If you're pumping water to the bog that has any chance of having solid debris (like leaves or other organic material that would take time to break down and could potentially clog the gravel) a pre-filter might be useful.

I don't know if I can explain a set up with numerous pre-filters though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My external pump draw is off the bottom of the pond. I have the intake pipe surrounded by a 5 gallon bucket drilled full of holes, keeps the intake draw lower at any one hole. Have a external leaf basket before the pump, but I never empty it all summer. Gets just a bit of plant matter tiny bit.

The leaf basket is my only "pre-filter" The bog has not plugged up with junk in the 10 years it has been running.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you got a pic of your basket strainer? I clean my 5 prefilters once a week. Water is crystal clear. I'm going up to a larger pump and doing away with the 5 smaller pumps. Working on a design to make a stainless prefilter that only needs a brush off occasionally.
A basket strainer is what is supplied with just about every external pump made. it's just keeps large items from getting to the impeller

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pump came with one as part of the pump. dragon lim I have had it for over 20 years now. I also have one I can put inline, just the basket.

1613245449385.png

Ask a Question