How to flow into winter with a watercourse and pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
thanks mgmine and everyone else for your interest and help.

sorry for my absence. sometimes i get quite amassed in my role...
plus i've been having some technical difficulties and i might also be a little weird...

that being said, i have taken your drainage suggestions to heart and feel i'm close
to being prepared. just need to lay a few more rocks for the winter along the perimeter
and add a little height to the pond edge of the middle island and the rest of the pond
perimeter will either drain into the watercourse, bog, or lawn. there's a long wide mound
behind the windbreak that will channel exterior flow away.

i installed a sluice between the bog and pond which allows the pond to be deeper for winter
and would eventually channel excessive watercourse/bog runoff into the low end drainage.

one photo shows the drainage for the low end of the system.

probably face the dirt wall with wood plank. we're waiting for a millage to pass...
pond007.jpg

pond014.jpg

pond013.jpg

pond009.jpg

someone doesn't like the drainage plan though...

pond016.jpg

my focus with winter has always been keeping individuals warm and fed.
winter does not scare me anymore.
giving thanks!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have all top quality best liner I could find, 45mil epdm liner, live in Ice Cold Canada, and all three of my big fat puppies have been in every pond at one point in their life, never had toenails puncture the liner and my oldest liner is about 20 years now and still in use....

I will say that one time I did get a liner that was supposed to be top quality 45 mil epdm, but it never felt as flexible or soft as the other liners. It was in a pond kit I got from my sister when she worked at Canadian Tire, and she was going to make a pond out of it but she never got around to it and sold the kit to me.
That liner did crack a little in the waterway area and one other area at the top exposed edge, and that is the liner I want to pull out this spring as it is obviously "crappy Tire liner" (bad Canadian nickname for junk brought at Canadian Tire store) ha ha...

Ask a Question