How to know when to stop feeding?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond has started to ice over and the fish not moving much at all. I can see them hiding in their caves. If I approach really quickly and they see me, some do swim away, others seem hybernating. Should I continue to feed them daily? Or stop? What sign can I use to know they don't need food anymore?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I stop feeding when the water temps get down to around 50 degrees. At that point the fish really aren't coming up to beg anymore, so I tend to base it off of their behavior.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope they have their fat to live off .Here it is a problem with feeding so I put pool thermometers in the pond and tie a weight to one to get bottom temperature and another to get top temperature of water .The top one I take out after I check t but the bottom one I leave in tied to a waterproof string

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would have stopped Long Before the pond froze over .koi and goldfish will munch on algae in the pond .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I base it off behavior like @BKHpondcritters, but as everyone said
they will be fine living off algae without food. There are years where I am busy come fall and don’t check on the pond for a few months, fish always do fine.

Ask a Question