How to quiet air pump.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have an air pump, what do you do to make it quieter/hide the noise?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Quite simply you cant apart from put them under something like a plastic container making sure that air can get around the pump , they simply dont make them quiet

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The best thing I found was to put a piece of foam insulation under the feet of it and then build a little house for it with no bottom and air holes .I used the pink 4 inch think foam they sell in home depot in 2 ft by 2 ft sheets .I used a paddle bit to put holes in the back of the house and put them up far enough so water cannot get in .Sorry no pics until I get a new pic system for the new puter .My old vista puter died

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The best thing I found was to put a piece of foam insulation under the feet of it and then build a little house for it with no bottom and air holes .I used the pink 4 inch think foam they sell in home depot in 2 ft by 2 ft sheets .I used a paddle bit to put holes in the back of the house and put them up far enough so water cannot get in .Sorry no pics until I get a new pic system for the new puter .My old vista puter died

Agreed - get something soft under them and something to cover them and that's about the best you can do. There is some noise inherent in most air pumps.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even a tote upside down on the foam will work with holes drilled in the side of the tote

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even better cheaper and probably more stable .I have several of them and may try it also .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it depends a lot on what kind of pump you have, brand, etc. Some pumps are just going to be noisy. My pump I use outdoors [covered against the elements] is a [I think] Pondmaster. It's quiet until something touches it. The ones I have indoors are various "aquarium" branded pumps. They tend to be noisy at times. Yes, putting foam or something underneath helps a lot. And sometimes if I have them dialed back too low [to the various air-things] they make a lot of racket -- solution there is to open up the "gangs" enough to stop the noise. Also, I think, if they have a diaphragm, if that gets old it can make the pump noisy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ours sit on a qooden beam covered over to protect them against the dust this is situated in the middle of our filter housing you can hear anything from a foot away
The airbubbles bursting in three of the four filters makes only slightly more noise and can be heard from two feet away .

Dave

Ask a Question