How to Shut off Water to pond- please help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just moved into a home that has a small decorative pond adjacent to the house. I have been able to drain the pond using buckets and a shop vac, but I still can't figure out how to permanently stop the water from refilling. There is a leveler that I've taped up to at least stop the flow, but it appears to be directly linked to the sprinkler pipes and I can't shut off the water without shutting off my irrigation. Can you please help me out? All I can think of is removing the leveler and plugging the end of the pipe. We are going to cover the pond with gravel.

I've attached two pictures. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 254
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Country
United States
Basically looking for a way to shut off the float valve/water supply permanently. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. We are having the landscapers come tomorrow to fill with gravel and we'd like to get it taken care of asap.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We just moved into a home that has a small decorative pond adjacent to the house. I have been able to drain the pond using buckets and a shop vac, but I still can't figure out how to permanently stop the water from refilling. There is a leveler that I've taped up to at least stop the flow, but it appears to be directly linked to the sprinkler pipes and I can't shut off the water without shutting off my irrigation. Can you please help me out? All I can think of is removing the leveler and plugging the end of the pipe. We are going to cover the pond with gravel.

I've attached two pictures. Thank you so much!

Shut off the water, Use a pipe cutter to sever the line to the pond. Get some copper caps and solder it closed. If it's plastic, cut the pipe and use the appropriate cement to attach the caps. If you're getting rid of it anyway, doesn't really matter how you cut the flow, does it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I'm just worried that the same pvc pipe runs to the sprinklers as well. From the picture of my water pipes, would you assume the sprinklers are fed by the cooper piping or the pvc? Worst case I can plug it at the pond end, I guess. Would just look better plugged at the pipes.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your water is coming in with the copper.
Going out in PVC
Dig back around the pipe feeding the float valve and look if they put in a valve

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dig outside of the edge of the concrete pond in the vicinity of the supply line to the fill valve. Once it is found turn off the irrigation system. Cut the PVC supply line to the fill valve and cement in place the appropriate size cap. Once dry, turn irrigation system back on. Once you are satisfied the there is no leaking around the newly installed cap, recover the pipe with soil and you are done.

Ask a Question