Howdy, glad to find ya'll

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey there, welp, after all the questions I have been bugging ya'll with, I figure about time I introduce myself after all the help ya'll have given me.

I am here in the real north texas, texas panhandle, Dalhart, where OK NM CO and TX almost meet at a corner. About 80 miles north west of Amarillo (same Amarillo in the country songs ;) ).

( i'm the prettier one on the right :) )
4261437f1b4f07040980642c22aea42097ee4aa0fd6d0e3e99588f154b7abe706g.jpg

2011 drought we only got up to 4 inches of annual precipitation, optimistically rounded up, and some other farmers near us did not even get that much. Rain is a rare event around here. Get'n a 3 inch rain is such a blessing that I say it is a miracle for it to happen here. We get our precipitation from short duration, small rains that seem to happen more frequent. A 1/10 inch here, 3/10 inch there, another 8/10 inch, and they eventually add up; this is how we get our rain through out the year. 2011 we had up to 60 days of very hi-98 and 100 degree temps; other areas near me had many more days than the 60 days. 2010 was an awesome year with around 10 inches of annual precipitation. 2011 we had to abandon crops and grassland and cattle were and are still dissappearing, but 2012 is starting out better!! Hoping for the best.

Give me a yell if ya have questions about the agriculture and land in my area. I do not mind at all. If I don't know, then I know enough folk around here that will know. :)

I farm for a living mostly in the grain arena and get'n busy. April through June is a big planting season for us so have very little time to do much on my little "pond". "Pond" in quotes since I originally wanted just a nice rock water feature with alot of water movement. We do not hear water around here at all, not even from rain, unless I am near a sprinkler. This Febraury and March I have been working on finishing some pondless waterfalls and my bigger "pond" that have motivated all my questions.

As mentioned, this "pond" started as a fancy rock water feature, but then I figure " lets put some plants and fish in there for my farm cats !! " :)

(( hope the pictures are not too big, not for sure how else to do it, and ignore the timestamp cause I just now took the pictures, stupid camera ... and please ignore the dead plants!!! :) )

b6361ff94d5ca4eacd6d3a09c16c1953ee2783a705981adec323af79dad918a66g.jpg

1ef6aba5e0ac836fedfc0aad2695fba4961d9c7aaca4b9fd18ccac7e19d571da6g.jpg

Yeah, planted alot of plants late in the fall when it was, even still, very hot. Ignore the dead plants please!! haha.

One thing I know was done right, the foundation to all the stream, waterfall hill, and resevoir is solid to make sure it does not settle.

I put the rock walls back in but didn't use waterfall foam on it all. This is going to be a project I'll do next February/March.

Also, I have not yet put back in the granite rocks that go into the stream. These really cause the stream to get a little more than an inch of extra depth. Right now, stream is only 1~2 inches deep.

The waterfall is a huge boulder where I am going to do some more plumbing to get a couple more fancy rock features.

The project got finished back in November and plan on cleaning it, spraying it down and draining it, every February/March.

We go down almost 500 feet, more in other parts, to get our groundwater so it is extremely hard here (300KH, 400GH); I am hoping my water treatments will decrease this.

If I do not wash off the calcium magnesium deposits, then the deposits just continue adding layers to the point where a foggy grey film is permanently formed on the rocks. Eventually, the deposits are just about impossible to remove. The deposits really hide the rock's color. I have not done this yet. On the waterfall, rock spires, and stream, I just spray on the vinegar, let it sit a couple minutes, then hit it with my high pressure sprayer. I am hesitant to using Muriatic Acid since I am afraid it may weaken the rubber liner. Hopefully, going to have time here soon to do this. Definitely will rinse out and drain the "pond" good to get all the vinegar out.

I am hoping to start aging, or cycling, the water first week of May so I can put some Comets in soon.

There's a skimmer off to the side that feeds the 3 rock spire fountains on top of the flagstone table.

I got the Hakko (HK-25L) as an aerator. A couple air stones, one on each side, kind of underneath, the flagstone table. Also, the aerator feeds air in my cavern underneath the flagstone table and feeding air into my pressurized filter. I've heard adding air to a filter helps to form bigger beneficial bacteria colonies on the bio-media. Also, since my "pond" is so shallow, the heat likely will remove much of the dissolve oxygen so I am going to really open up the air stones when it gets hotter around here. Right now, the air stones are not opened much at all.

The main pump is a submersible (~3600gph, 30ft head height), where a deeper hole was dug to sit the pump 18" deep. I am thinking of get'n an external pump with higher flow rate to really get water going down the stream, maybe.

All'n all, the water feature holds around 450 gallons and can hold up to 600 if I fill it all the way to the top where it overflows, but I just keep it at 450 gallons.

The water resevoir, or "pond", is 12~14 inches deep. "Pond" has a 2~3 inche rock bottom. The flagstone rock is sitting 10 inches from the bottom on top of a very thick heavy duty plastic container giving the floating rock "table" appearance. This Spring I put some rocks in the container to create some caverns where I put a 10 foot perforated braided 1" hose to add freshwater and air; hopefuly this extra flow coming out of the caverns will prevent debris from going into it. I am thinking the fish could use this to hide if they need it.

The flagstone table has about 2~4 inches water above it, maybe more depending on how much I fill it.

There ya go.

Nice meeting everyone.

Appreciate all the information on this forum, all of the answers to my questions, and active community!! :)

I'll do my best to help out as much as I can.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well welcome to the forum and i love how that whole pond and stream are different ,water feature pond stream ,I think you have it all covered .A boy are some going to be jealous of you fancy equipment .I have only my little red lawn mower and cart sorry .Gosh wish I could borrow some of your rock ,ahh not saying I will return them lol :LOL: oh also have hauled a lot of rock with the red lawn mower and cart

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well ya been around for awhile but don't know that I officially welcomed ya so:

howdycowboy-1.gif
crsublette
Nice work you do on the water features and nice big toys!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow forgot thats some darn clean water you got there crystal clear and we need your secret or we get cranky

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hehe, thanks.

And i'll give ya a 7 day free trial on that rock. ;) Then ya must pay me in pie. :D

Haha, Sissy, I think you had a rock avalanche and it landed on your lot there yet I do not see any mountains. Looks nice. B)

I have been changing the water alot so no algae has had the chance to grow. When I drain the water, I use that hose and pipe ya see in the bottom picture. The hose and pipe connects, slip-on connector, to the 2" pvc that feeds the stream; next project is to make this operation more smooth. The pipe then connects to three garden hoses, not in the picture, that is laid next to my trees. I do this once a week probably draining about 300 gallons. Not gonna be able to do this when I start to put fish in there; well, not as much water at least.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:razz: :razz: well lets see I have apple trees ,cherry trees and peach trees so you won't get the rock back .Wow draining and refilling must be a hassle at times .When you put fish in maybe a 10 or 20% water change is about all you can get away with.With some fish that jump out of the pond during spawning you may have to be careful .I lost my one and only fish last year because he jumped out and that was after 8 years of ponding

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh boy howdy, for fresh fruit pies, i'll just have to sneak over to steal a few from underneath that window of yours. ;) Maybe I could trade ya for some fresh pork skins. Nothing like fresh pork skins. Take a bit of that skin, not much, toss it into a barrel of hot cooking oil for 5 seconds, take it out, season, good to go. :D

Draining and refilling not bad. My pump puts out 60gpm so only about 5 minutes to empty 300 gallons. I have my well connected straight to my "pond" that gives me 10.4gpm, so about 30 minutes. I set out on my patio with a few Dos Equis and pork skins so I do not drain out or fill it up too much. Yeah, with the small water changes will be nice, I'll just use one garden use for my trees and let it do a nice slow drain.

Hahah, that's crazy about the fish jumping. Jumping out of the pond and into the frying pan; I hope my farm cats do not choke on the small bones!! :goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice pond and stream. Looks clean and pristine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry I'm a vegetarian and have been all my life :razz: I picked 40 quarts of strawberries this morning at a local farm and now going to make strawberry short cake and some jam and strawberry ice cream ,mmmm mmm gonna be good .I have company from NJ so figured I would treat them .There offer on a house here got excepted ,The house was listed for 49 thousand and offer excepted at 34.900 .win win for them .They close in 2 weeks hopefully

Ask a Question