Howdy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
New to the forum. I built a 40gal above ground pond with a 7gal bog filter feeding into a waterfall 1 year ago and threw in some plants and eventually 2 goldfish. I live in Houston, Tx (questionable area for a small above ground pond with this heat I know...).

I find the idea of a complete miniature ecosystem fascinating. I've done almost nothing to this thing and the fish and plants were still alive after 9 months. I have never fed them! The build itself was way larger of an undertaking than I was expecting (watched dozens of youtube videos gaining a false sense of confidence as usual lol).

But I was blown away with how well it maintained itself. The only products I use are "Aquascape Maintain" (I pump once into it every week or so) and a chlorine/chloramine filter inline with the hose (filter is from a company that sells worm castings and wormtea brewing materials).

What brought me here is that the bigger goldfish diiiieeed! I was heartbroken... But I'll save that post for the "Newbie" section.

Anyways, very glad to be here. Thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome50.gif
@lmbauer2017
Sorry the one fish died. Yes post a new thread about that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
New to the forum. I built a 40gal above ground pond with a 7gal bog filter feeding into a waterfall 1 year ago and threw in some plants and eventually 2 goldfish. I live in Houston, Tx (questionable area for a small above ground pond with this heat I know...).

I find the idea of a complete miniature ecosystem fascinating. I've done almost nothing to this thing and the fish and plants were still alive after 9 months. I have never fed them! The build itself was way larger of an undertaking than I was expecting (watched dozens of youtube videos gaining a false sense of confidence as usual lol).

But I was blown away with how well it maintained itself. The only products I use are "Aquascape Maintain" (I pump once into it every week or so) and a chlorine/chloramine filter inline with the hose (filter is from a company that sells worm castings and wormtea brewing materials).

What brought me here is that the bigger goldfish diiiieeed! I was heartbroken... But I'll save that post for the "Newbie" section.

Anyways, very glad to be here. Thanks!
I couldn't find the edit button, but here are some pictures of the pond! (had to wait until daylight)

Attachments

• IMG_2226.JPEG
    IMG_2226.JPEG
    286.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2224.JPEG
    IMG_2224.JPEG
    281 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2223.JPEG
    IMG_2223.JPEG
    287.6 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question