How's your Christmas shopping going?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I like that! We donate non perishable foods to the food drive but I don't know where it actually goes, hopefully it doesn't end up on some shelf to be SOLD to the needy
I would love to target needy family and give them ANONYMOUS gifts (like in the movie) but I don't know how to go about it, I don't trust anyone!

@Somethin' Fishy I've never heard of the games you mentioned, thanks for giving me something to look into! :)

@Tara I was seriously considering the paint guns, being on 4 acres surrounded by woods I thought it'd be really fun for the whole family....until I researched the safety hazards of paint guns and the word "death" came up. I can't guarantee that my kids would properly handle the pressure tank so I have to pass on that, and that's too bad, my boys would've really loved it! ...got any other idea?
Contact the social worker at a local grade school. That is what we did for the last couple of years. Last years family was a single mom of 4. It was sad to see wish list items that were the basics, hats, gloves diapers, etc. We got all of that plus toys. This year one of the police departments has a drive going for women who are escaping abusive relationships with their children. There are may places to find to give to those in need.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Tara I was seriously considering the paint guns, being on 4 acres surrounded by woods I thought it'd be really fun for the whole family....until I researched the safety hazards of paint guns and the word "death" came up. I can't guarantee that my kids would properly handle the pressure tank so I have to pass on that, and that's too bad, my boys would've really loved it! ...got any other idea?

Nerf guns. Obviously they don't have the range as paint guns, but still a great game of "tag" in the woods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't worry @Gemma I will be the only one with a paintball gun and I won't be careless with the co2. As for Christmas shopping I still need to pluck up the motivation to do it, I did go to the local hall sale with my neighbor and bought some stuff there, it's fantastic as the senior women sell hats, gloves, blankets etc that they knit or crochet, they then use the money for family's in need. Now I will drop the the items I got to the senior home.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are in the not spending mode. The rehab cost a bit. Less then what we got from the tenants estate but still a good bucket of funds going out. Told hubby we need a few months of no expenditures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What will you be fermenting @Mitch ? My mother in law has us spoiled, she has given us fermented cabbage and turnip, also she gave us dehydrated black garlic and dried purslane. The black garlic is delicious, it tastes a little like black licorice as we just chew it like candy, and the best part is she grows everything herself. So I will be making anadama bread with purslane as gifts this year. I got a silly game for the family to play over Christmas, my youngest wants a scooter board for Christmas so my husband has to put castor wheels on a lovely piece of wood we have, the oldest need clothes so I will send my husband out for that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm with Tara...what's cooking @MitchM ? It sounds interesting!

@Tara - I didn't know what anadama bread was, so I had to look it up! Sounds like "brown bread". Am I right? I make mine in a coffee can with foil duct taped over the top. I experimented with a loaf last year that I added craisins to, and it was REALLY good! I think I'll try blueberries in the next batch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm with Tara...what's cooking @MitchM ? It sounds interesting!

@Tara - I didn't know what anadama bread was, so I had to look it up! Sounds like "brown bread". Am I right? I make mine in a coffee can with foil duct taped over the top. I experimented with a loaf last year that I added craisins to, and it was REALLY good! I think I'll try blueberries in the next batch.
Sounds good, the anadama bread is one I make with corn meal and dark molasses. I was given the recipe from a friend a few years ago, it was one her grandmother made. Crasins do sound good in bread though, I wonder if soaking them in cranberry juice before hand would be a good idea. I must give the coffee can a try, that's handy as I could give the whole thing away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love hearing everyone's Christmas traditions! I wish we had gone the no-gift route when our kids were small, but I was too young as a mom and didn't know that I could take control of the grandparents! So they all got lots and lots and lots... and I had to figure out how to manage all that STUFF!

Our best Christmas ever was the year my kids were all basically grown but there were no grandkids and we all went to Arizona for three weeks. Time together, no hassles of what to buy, no tree to lug in and out, no wrapping... just relaxing and games and long walks in the sunshine. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my grandkids, wouldn't trade them for anything, and since Christmas really is all about the little ones we go all out... but I did love the stress free travel year!

We don't really "shop" though - we sit at our kitchen island and browse the internet for the best prices on the best gifts. So easy and pretty much hassle free. Then we just wait for the boxes to roll in!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Crasins do sound good in bread though, I wonder if soaking them in cranberry juice before hand would be a good idea. I must give the coffee can a try, that's handy as I could give the whole thing away.
I use 'em in cookies, muffins, and the brown bread, and haven't bothered soaking them or altering the liquid content of any of the recipes. Everything always turns out well.

The brown bread needs to come out of the coffee can after it cools; so no good for gifting it in the can. That, and its really hard to find a metal coffee can anymore! I've had mine for years (I think its a one pound size).

Here's the recipe for anyone interested:

Boston Brown Bread

1 1/2 cups Brown Bread Flour ( which is equal parts wheat, rye and cornmeal)
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Molasses
1 cup Milk
2 heaping TBS. Brown Sugar
Dash or two of Allspice
Splash of Vanilla
Butter for greasing the metal coffee can

Combine all ingredients. Grease a small metal coffee can with butter and pour batter into can until the can is about 2/3 full. Cover with heavy duty foil and duct tape the edges of the foil down to the sides of the can. Place the can into a deep baking pan and fill the pan with boiling water half way up the sides of the can.

Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours. Check the water level in the pan after the first hour, and refill if needed.

Allow bread to cool, remove foil/tape, and slide bread out of can.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All done shopping and ready for my 4 day holiday weekend!
christmass5.gif

Ask a Question