Huge shubunkin

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well I put her in the new pond for a week alone and she's still just as fat as ever poor thing...but she comes up to eat still then just sinks to the bottom and hangs out. I put a few fish in with her to keep her company that were at my daughters (they got to big for the 70 gal tank she had them in)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, honestly I thought your post might be to say, she'd passed away. I don't know what to make of her situation. I'm glad she's got some pond buddies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Doesnot look like eggs, it would onky swell lower belly if it was , my shubunkin spawned few times , more like somekind of deformity

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This shubunkin definately has dropsy is not normally infective to other fish so you dont have to Quarentine your shubunkin .
Dropsy can be just down to fluid retention in the body, there is a parasitce that can attack your fishes kidneys eventualy leading to kidneys becoming enlarged and eventually leading to kidney failure the there is a bacterial infection which will cause organ failure lastly there is a viral infection which dropsy can be induced by.
Once dropsy has been identified then the first treatment for dropsy should be to salt the pond which should be applied at 5 or 6 kg per 1,000 litres of pond water [11to 13ib to 220 gallons Imperial] work out the US gallonage as I dont work with it and dont want to make a mistake .
This should be for a period of 3 to 5 days , the water temperature should be slowly raised to over 25c [77f] in some cases even as high as 39c [86f].
To the salt treatment it is advisable to add a good anti bacterial that is safe to use alongside salt i;e Acriflavine is my prefared anti bacterial here making sure you follow the directions to the medication of which ever anti bacterial you choose is completed couse wise .
Sadly dropsy cannot be cured all the time and in the fish cure it almost always make a reapperance a year or so later and the fish die.
So ask yourself is it worth the stuggle of the first cure only to loose it the second time around, a sad choice to make I know but this is down to you .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You wont lose anything by injecting her with a broad spectrum antibiotic for 3-5 days.

Unless the person is trained in injection the fish internally [which I doubt] , then I suggest that this is a no no @Faebinder, as it would be far more productive and less dangerous to the life of the fish to add it to the ponds water .

Dave

Ask a Question