MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Went out this morning as I always do right after first light to give my chickens fresh water and their morning treat...and to collect eggs (most of my chickens lay real early). When I collected the eggs, I found the largest egg I have ever seen (for a chicken!). It is from our 1 Black Jersey Giants. Her eggs have been huge lately and the last few I cracked had 2 yolks, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one has 3 yolks.

Here it is in the middle of normal eggs
007 - March 28.jpg

This pic gives you even a better idea of how big it is. It will have to go in a bowl!
008-Mar 28.jpg

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't have a rooster right now, so it is not fertilized. Good question...when multiple chicks hatch from the same egg, the egg usually has two yolks. Usually, one embryo out competes the other and only one chick survives to hatch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I don't have a rooster right now, so it is not fertilized. Good question...when multiple chicks hatch from the same egg, the egg usually has two yolks. Usually, one embryo out competes the other and only one chick survives to hatch.
oh ic , i never had chicken which would lay 2 yolked egg , when i was teen i used to gather eggs then place it under chicken when she is ready to incubate and dozen wud hatch it was so lovely and exciting then hen wud take bunch of kids for a walk and feeding them it was cute , i did that often , i wsnt interested in eating them much lol and many funny stories , usualy when season wud start they wud lay eggs at new place every time , one hen wud disappear then come back , i was wondering whats happening then i chased her once , so she had a secret nest in dense forest and found few eggs there , we had very large 4foot lizards too that wud eat eggs if they find , then one other wud enter my bedroom and lay eggs on my study table and cloths will u believe ? lol

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A friend of mine who lives close by showed me these pics last night of an egg she got a while back...same thing as your video. I'll have to have my camera ready when I crack this one open.

egg.jpg

egg1.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is one huge egg, make sure you film the cracking, never know what you will find!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
Awesome!

I went out to check my ladys box after being gone for 3 days and found this waiting...
Which was strange because she usually only drops about 4 a WEEK.
She's a Silkie that's why the eggs are so small.

Attachments

• 20170328_163025.jpg
    20170328_163025.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 212

Ask a Question