sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when you do that you can get a small tote and get some rubber hose and drill a hole so the hose fits in the hole really tight and force it in with a little silicon or even caulk and this way you can make it bigger for more surface area and not worry about having it set on the edge of your pond .I did that with my first filter .I had 3 rubber hoses I bought by the foot and drilled the holes out and forced the pipe in the holes with silicon around them .I even still have it and have used it on the extra hose from my pond for extra cleaning with extra batting in it .It still works great .Just make sure the tote is a heavier duty one .Rubbermaid ones are heavier .It also is a good idea for an all around filter for your pond .You can then hide the tote with plants in it and all around it .I am going to do it on a big fiberglass planter I got at the flea market for ten dollars .Next year I may put elephant ears and canna and some type of drape over plant to make the pot pretty .I have to paint the pot someone sprayed it purple so plastic spray paint one can was 3 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Rubber hose stuck out inside the pot by over 2 inches and out side the pot by 6 inches to reach the pond .I got a rectangular planter for in front over it for hang over plants to hide the front of the pot .Really don't have to but figured more pretty plants can't hurt

H

humbirdlover

I just have the hose from my pump stuck in the top for now, was just planning on this being temporary, but might just use a bigger tote and do what you suggested. I can put a thing on the pump for two hoses. I miss my old hand pump water feature :). Since I didn't get the mechanical filter built, and it's so late in the season, sounds like a plan. If I continue to use batting, tho will the algae on the rocks and liner stay? I always thought that's what the fish eat after I stop feeding them for the season.

H

humbirdlover

Good, LOL If I am understanding correctly, the microscopic algae that makes the water green, actually competes with the other kinds? I noticed less of the carpet kind and the string kind disappeared all together, when the water turned real green. Still need to get more plants, but will wait and see how these fill out. I set them in there pots down in a container with gravel to hold them in place, but will prolly take them out and put them deeper for winter? I saw some really pretty on here somewhere with lots of little blue flowers. Forgot the name, will have to look on your plant list. I really want to get some of that.
Oh just remembered the name, Forget Me Nots , LOL

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Humbird I am late in seeing this thread and it sounds like you are already working on a filter. But how much room do you have to the left of your pond where the red patio pavers are? The reason I ask is that I really like a bog filter and with your pond it could be a nice addition. You don't need a lot of work to make it work for you and can be any design you like. You wouldn't have to dig down much as they only need to be 12" deep, heck you could even just build a small retaining wall line it with liner, add pea gravel and your done. Not quite that easy but close to it.

Just a thought.

H

humbirdlover

Hi Tmann. Have so many ideas going thru my head, and a small bog is one of them. But I better had not mess with the area where those pavers are. Have been thinking about the area where the flower bed is, to the right where the old wheel sits. My area is really limited, my fault for putting the pond where I did. But I wanted to sit on the porch and look down at the fish :) I need to do some figuring and measuring. I have the two walls and then driveway on the other two sides :( I also have an over flow pipe going out to the driveway on the flowerbed side.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Now what you mean by limited I wanted mine so I could look down on it from my front porch but there is a septic tank clean out not to far away and then the side steps are on the other side

septic tank clean out is inside the wishing well so watch what you wish for there :razz:

H

humbirdlover

LMBO, yep...But you built yours like a seperate flower bed to the left of your filter in the pic? BTW, I love your wagon wheel seat. I have a thing for old rusty yard art. Got a couple from a junk yard up behind our house, and picked up a couple small ones from a flea market. If it's rusty, galvanized, beat up, I love it :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol with our slope we can look down on the fish anytime we want from the windows, to sit next to the pond is a down hill jaunt. But we love it. It would have been nice to have it closer to the house, but not practical. I used a laser level until we found the flattest area to build in, and it was still a six foot plus drop in level from one edge to the other, adding the bog made a 10 foot drop from side to side.

DSC03664.jpg

wagon wheels make some neat benches, I hauled these from arizona. Late hubby and I bought them at one of those garden shows. Heavy suckers

H

humbirdlover

Oh Addy, I like yours too. So you're gone? and where exactly is your house? LOL, Just kidding. I love the way you have landscaped your slope, it looks so natural, a little bit of Southwest in the East :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
showing the way the screen is attached to the bridge

Attachments

• pond 2012 006.JPG
    pond 2012 006.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 239
  • pond 2012 022.JPG
    pond 2012 022.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 220
  • pond 2012 010.JPG
    pond 2012 010.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 174
H

humbirdlover

your Canna Lily is so pretty! your pics help, thank you :) Oh been meaning to ask you, what's the little house with the rocks on it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is a copy of my house and call it my house on the lake .It house my aerator and the supplies .I am now building a light house .

Ask a Question